Does Schwinn really exist?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a re-post of a thing I wrote in the Schwinn forums.... I'm posting it here, too.

Does Schwinn really still exist?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at a mega-super-cheap-evil retailer the other day, and noticed "Schwinn" bicycles being sold for very low prices. Unfortunately, these were not the same high-quality Schwinns that many of us grew up with. Instead, they appeared to be the very "lowest common denominator" mass-produced chain-store bikes that Ignaz and Frank Schwinn hated with a passion.

The name Schwinn once stood for the best bikes that could be built.... and it's a shame to see it applied to the lowest end of the cycling market.

My opinion is that the REAL Schwinn ceased to exist around 1990 with the bankruptcy, and was certainly dead by 1993 when the assetts were sold to an outside investment group.

I think Pacific Cycles is doing a great disservice to the name Schwinn, to US who loved the older bikes, and to themselves by selling bottom-end "Schwinns" through mass-retailers. I know that they own the legal rights to the name, and can do as they please.... but a far better course of business would be to reserve the name for high-quality bikes.

If they continue like they are doing, the name Schinn will become about as useless as "Huffy"...... (which USED to be Huffman, before being run down the same mass-retailler path!)

1990's ? As far as I'm cocerned, 1982 ended it for me. Thats when the "trademark" wind-blade type fork went away and the chinese tubular models came into play. For that matter, unless I'm mistaken, all manufacturing left Chicago and went abroad at that time. The exception being ATB and MTB types. I beleive that these were being developed in Colorado and Utah, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Canteleiver frames have always been my preference anyway. One thing in life shall always be constant, change ! Large corporate conglomorants have pretty much always operated in this same manner, its called pursuit of the almighty dollar ! This really shouldnt surprise you or anyone else for that matter, unless youve just stepped out of a time warp ! Rather than harp on your dis-pleasure with another corporate venture, why cant you find pleasure in having a good experience with an american icon. And take comfort in the fact that you have been fortunate enough in your lifetime to have had the experience ? Just my 2cents worth. :wink:

in name only

The general census at the local bike shops I grew up with is they can't convince the casual bike rider why to buy the indie bike shop Schwinn bike for $300 [built sturdie], rather than pay $99.95 for cheap cr#$% while they shop for other goods. Most bike shops have lowered the once great "Schwinn" sign and just added it into their line up of other names , keeping it for nostalgia or selling on auction site. The casual rider will buy the $99.95 model ride it for a while or into the ground , take it to the local shop and freak out at the estimate, then junk it. Or ride it till it breaks then junk it, or keep it til it turns "ugly" then sell it for junk and buy pretty ones. Sorry but we live in a disposable world. its not quality control, its units per work hour.......thats my 2 cents [before taxes] :| :| :|

i agree that schwinn did die in 82. when yeti bought schwinn in 93 they did try to reclaim the cruiser line and the repop black phantom was an awsome effort even though they were about as pricy as a real one lol. i think schwinn really died when pacific got them but in a way they are still alive. they do sell a line of quality cruisers that are only avalible through small bike shops. other than that nada

you guys have a good point....

you guys might be right in that Schwinn's true identity might have been lost in the 1980's when the bikes we all loved went away..... sad, but true.

On a similar but different note: My original posting in the Schwinn Forums has been removed. The Title/Headline is still there, but the posting and all of the reader's comments are gone! Geezzzzzz........ I guess Pacific Cycles doesn't want us discussing the matter! The Chinese just can't handle us Rebel/Dissident types! ;)

Re: you guys have a good point....

TornadoDave said:
you guys might be right in that Schwinn's true identity might have been lost in the 1980's when the bikes we all loved went away..... sad, but true.

On a similar but different note: My original posting in the Schwinn Forums has been removed. The Title/Headline is still there, but the posting and all of the reader's comments are gone! Geezzzzzz........ I guess Pacific Cycles doesn't want us discussing the matter! The Chinese just can't handle us Rebel/Dissident types! ;)

I agree schwinn has gone to s**t. The moderators banned "ilikebikes" for say that Pacific is no where near what schwinn use to be and never will.

They sacrifice quality for more money!!

Now it's GONE entirely!

Wowzers! Now my posting is gone entirely from the Schwinn Forums! A few hours ago, the Headline was still there, now even it is gone.

Dang!

Re: Now it's GONE entirely!

TornadoDave said:
Wowzers! Now my posting is gone entirely from the Schwinn Forums! A few hours ago, the Headline was still there, now even it is gone.

Dang!

your welcome here Tornado.It was to my understanding
that Americans..."North Americans" take pride in Freedom of Speach!

Hang out here for a while.
All the cool kids are doing it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree to some extent because almost everything in the world has become more cheaply made from bikes to cars to homes we now live in a disposible society lifetime guarentees usually mean the lifetime of the company 5-7 years. we all contribute to the monster everyday. so why shouldnt Schwinn(Pacific) be any different. atleast theny made the good stuff once!
and besides if they made the stuff at the same quality as it used to be the old stuff wouldnt be special :)

LOL.....
In view of the recent re-discussion of the Schwinn / Pacific Cycles / Walmart cheapo bikes, I thought I'd bring this old topic back out of retirement. It was originally posted on the Schwinn Forum, where it recieved a LOT of attention.... about 90% agreeing with me. This of course pissed off the folks at Pacific Cycles who run the Schwinn Forum.... and so they removed it form the site, and tossed me. Oh well.....

I guess what you would have to ask is...how much would it cost TODAY to build say a new 2008 Schwinn Grey Ghost or Pea Picker to 1969 Schwinn standards and what would it sell for retail today? And who would pay that much? (I'm using Krates as an example...could be a mid-weight or heavy, whatever)

When you think about that...$1000-$1500 for a reasonably restored or original 'rider' Schwinn Krate is not a bad buy. (I know alot sell for a whole bunch more, but $1K + gets you in the door)

It is sad what has happened to the whole North American manufacturing industry and the quality of products...but this is a bottom line, profit driven world, and in a lot of ways...that really sucks large. :!: On the same note...ask any Information Technology professional who has had his job move to India in the last 10 years what they think about 'cheap is best' solutions :cry:

Now...get over Schwinn, and have a look at the Electra line :wink: or if you want to see quality still exists in bikes, a Norco Downhill racing bike like an A-line or a Team dh, top fit and finish but big $$$.

Pacific also killed the Mongoose, GT, and Diamondback brands as well by making them into mass produced wally world bikes.

I understand you saying that schwinn died in the 1980's.I was born in 1990 so I cant relate to much that you guys are sayin but I can contribute the following. I looked at a 100% unmolested 80's schwinn,and their was no quality in it, especially around where the fenders attach. This is what I think , I think the true blow was struck to schwinn around 1973-74 when all the bicycle safety regulations came into place. The same regulations that killed the Krate and the Swing Bike. That all and all, is what I believed killed schwinn.

No-Hands

If you're interested in the how,why & who of Schwinns' rise and fall, it's worth a look.

It's no edge-of-your-seat page turner, but it does tell the story of how Schwinn got to where it is.

-Mp

WOW this is a great post! I have learned alot by what has been said here! Slickrick and outsider 13 really hit it on the nose...as did many of you :D

TornadoDave

why dose that not surprise me :roll: I have had a visit from time to time there....they really have the blinders on over there and just how many times can you talk about the same topic over and over again? :roll: :D

thanks again Steve

New Schwinns = the afterbirth of cool... its a shame to see whats happened to the once great bike name.
I think if everyone just stopped buying them until the quality comes back or the brand dies would be the best
thing to do.
At least there are still a bunch of oldies around for us to ride .

The lbs schwinns are just as good as any other name brand bike thats out there. What really makes me mad is them putting the classic names on the mass produced junk. Like the manta ray, varsity,jaguiar, and even the stingray choppers. I understand them using the schwinn name to sell the bikes, but they should give that junk new names and quit disgracing the names of the original classics. Just my opinion

I don't understand all of the hate geared towards wal-mart. Evil? No, saving me money on lots of items? Yes. I understand why we wouldnt want to buy a bike there, but it is not Wal-marts fault, it is entirely the fault of the companies making the product, and the fact that people buy it. I do wish they would sell less items made in China, but if the American people would stop buying them, Wal-Mart would stop selling them (hint hint). Wal-Mart is an AMERICAN owned company, started in AMERICA, not like some of the other companies owned by investors from other countries, such as Target, owned by the French, and does not allow bell ringers at Christmas time. So to sum this all up, if you do not like the crappy products, don't buy the crappy products and force them to sell us better quality items. I know it takes quite a while for us to shop, but my wife and I look at the location everything is made, and if it's not U.S.A. we don't buy it. The sad thing is, though, lots of times we do NOT end up with the better product!

Exactly! Merchadise taking up shelf space and catching dust will surely not be re-stocked. And a little solidarity would in fact effect change in the retail arena. Not very likely to happen though. Fierce individuality and the self absorbed "Me first" attitudes that are so very prevalant today insures this! As far as Pacific Cycles is concerned, they are not going to allow their "Guests " to dis-respect them in their house. Neither would you, free speech is a right in these United States, cyber space has its own set of rules! Change is and will always be constant, we are all free to choose. Choose well, and give thanks for the opportunity to do so! Later & PEACE!!!!! :wink:

Latest posts

Back