Does steel type matter on a cruiser?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forum here but have been lurking for quite some time. Ive become fascinated with Strand cruisers or any style of 26'' cruiser bmx bike. I ended up buying a We The People Avenger on sale. My only concern was that it was not 100% cromo but I fell in love with the bike and got it anyways. Ive always been told that high tens steel sucks but for this type of bike does it really matter? I mainly rip around the neighborhood jumping curbs but I want to take it to a pump track with small jumps. What is everyones thoughts on high tens frames for cruisers and will it hold up to some abuse or should I keep it on the ground?

The Avenger is a GREAT looking bike!

Chromoly is made thinner and dents easier. I have a couple of these frames.

I like that new aluminum steel for lightweight and have a couple of these too.

But the bike I have the most money in is a cheap, probably Chinese, unknown steel composition Schwinn cruiser.
98054_d7b39c77bfc0767c2d38be76ca893ee0.jpg
Weighs in at a cool 35 pounds. About 5 of which is the heavyweight giant nobbies I put on there, which I absolutely love.
I could probably get it under 30 pounds with the right components.
104194_8ee435a51b9757eac1d029195afeebb6 (2).jpg
The steel it's made from, or the value of the frame, never entered my mind before I dumped a sizeable amount of time and cash into this bike.
It's not a race bike. It's all about the look and feel that I wanted.
The bandana was just for the pics to cover the scratches on the shifter.

I've been told that the fork on this bike could bend if I was too rough with it. But the frame itself is really solid. So far the only thing I've bent was the layback seatpost when I landed off a small jump sitting down.

Ride it like you stole it!

Last edited:
This cheap Chinese thing
IMG_20190622_152308828_HDR.jpg

turned into this, which sees some light trail duty, curb hops, and more than a few bunnyhops.
IMG_20190925_100744314.jpg
Your Avenger should be alright*

*Alrightness of bike is in no way guaranteed.

Thanks for the replies, thats what I was looking for. It looks like the avenger for 2020 is all cromo but its a 27.5 tire size so thats a no go in my books.

The WTP Avenger is a quality product...I find it unfortunate that it only has the DT in chromoly, but...realistically, there isn't going to be a lot of strength difference as WTP will size the HT appropriately...just a bit more girth.
Thanks for the replies, thats what I was looking for. It looks like the avenger for 2020 is all cromo but its a 27.5 tire size so thats a no go in my books.
Well...that was a rollercoaster ride :crazy:. I hadn't heard the above news...and freaked out while reading it. I said out loud to myself, 'where the H_ _ _ am I going to find the money for a new bike!'. Then I started looking for one, and found a bunch of sold out sites. Finally found a site that was taking orders...$1699...:20:. I won't pay that much for a new bike...can't do it. I'll just keep a look out for them on the secondary market, like I do with Sawyers, and hope that some day...many years down the road...I will be able to pick one up for a more reasonable amount :cry:.

Congrats on your Avenger...welcome to RRB :thumbsup:
Jason

The WTP Avenger is a quality product...I find it unfortunate that it only has the DT in chromoly, but...realistically, there isn't going to be a lot of strength difference as WTP will size the HT appropriately...just a bit more girth.

Well...that was a rollercoaster ride :crazy:. I hadn't heard the above news...and freaked out while reading it. I said out loud to myself, 'where the H_ _ _ am I going to find the money for a new bike!'. Then I started looking for one, and found a bunch of sold out sites. Finally found a site that was taking orders...$1699...:20:. I won't pay that much for a new bike...can't do it. I'll just keep a look out for them on the secondary market, like I do with Sawyers, and hope that some day...many years down the road...I will be able to pick one up for a more reasonable amount :cry:.

Congrats on your Avenger...welcome to RRB :thumbsup:
Jason

I looked for a sawyer for a while as well with no luck. I picked up my avenger for $499.00 and traded another bike for a second avenger that I plan to change a few things on.

I use to ride nothing but single speed rigid 29ers but have found more joy in the 26'' cruisers. It looks like WTP have changed quite a bit on the new Avenger. The frame is different, it uses a thread less headset now, and disc brakes.

Latest posts

Back