Dolomite vs Super 32

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the only two Walmart bikes I have. They were unique and a little weird so I had to have them.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395074318.237724.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395074338.870826.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395074354.842076.jpg

I have personalized both somewhat. For what they cost they ride well after lubing and adjusting. I ordered a couple extra 32" tubes and tires through Kent as a backup. Spares might make it a bit more sellable at some point.

After adjusting the derailleur and brake calipers everything seems to working fine. As I add some miles to it the brake stopping capacity is increasing. Shifting has been smooth.
The downside is the weight. It is now my workout bike. I rode it (Dolomite) and my Marin Muirwoods 29er on the same route this afternoon, about 6 mile loop. Quite a difference in effort levels.
I changed the pedals, saddle and stem on the Dolomite which raised the bars some. Riding position pretty much dialed in, just a heavy bike.

Last edited:
A few detail images of the Mongoose Dolomite Fat Bike...
$225.00 version before price increase. It has few upgraded components.
IMG_0029 em.jpg IMG_0021 em.jpg IMG_0022 em.jpg IMG_0023 em.jpg IMG_0024 em.jpg IMG_0026 em.jpg IMG_0027 em.jpg

NICE Bikes...nothing really wrong with "Walmart Bikes".....I still own a couple of TREKS, and owned a Bicycle Shop for years so I've owned from Murrays to Yetis over the years....Cheaper Bikes have a Real Fun Factor to Them....!!!!!...:thumbsup:

Not interested in parting out this bike.
Did a windy 9 mile paved and single track ride today. Burned 764 calories. Elevation gain of 3165 feet, 3203 feet loss. 1:12:20 ride time. Going to replace the rear gear set, need a lower 1st.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395350336.667861.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395350355.923474.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395350374.778940.jpg

In about 3 more rides like that, you won't need the lower gear. You will be in better shape.

So the question I have is...at any point during that ride were you thinking you'd have been better off on a regular MTB?

Meaning....did you think...man, I sure am glad I have 4" tires for this.

So the question I have is...at any point during that ride were you thinking you'd have been better off on a regular MTB?

Meaning....did you think...man, I sure am glad I have 4" tires for this.
Your right Rat Rod. My Schwinn Moab Disc or Redline Monocog SS would have made more sense for the ride. They both would have taken less effort. They just don't have the 4" cool factor. I was happy to accomplish the ride on the Fat Bike. No sand near where I live. No snow as it was in 70's.
The Dolomite does provide a smoother ride. It really isn't a very practical bike.
I just like unique stuff, somewhat of a nonconformist. Just take a look at my build off bikes.

Not trying to be pain about it...just trying to make sure I'm not missing out on the Dolomite. :D
No problem, you are missing out though. You need one to go with your Massif. Outside of being heavy, the Dolo is about the coolest bike in my Alley.

I agree. I ride my beast more than my super high end MTB. Its literally 23lbs heavier, and its slower, and it doesn't climb or descend as good. BUT, its more fun 90% of the time!!!

Rat Rod - just buy one. The fact that you don't have one yet is reason enough to get one.

The Genesis Super 32 would actually make a better road bike than the Dolomite.
A few years back I got an Electra Balloon 7 based on the Amsterdam frame with 26 x 2.35 tires. I took it to a local organized group road ride. The pure roadies thought I was crazy. I did the 50 mile portion just fine. A bit slower than my road bike, but I certainly wasn't the last rider in either.
7yma9ury.jpg
3a5e7udy.jpg

A few Super 32 pics.
ege7a2as.jpg
va7egebe.jpg
ve2a3y7e.jpg
ajudu5ej.jpg

Last edited:
23 pounds heavier!!!! Man that's my road bike!

Yup! My Beast is 53 lbs. My Yeti 575 with heavy free ride wheels is only a touch over 30. If I put my extra set of wheels on and some lighter pedals it would be about 27lbs.

KansasRollFast installed a Shimano 14-34 Hyperdrive set for me today. The Tourney derailleur spec indicates that this freewheel is in range. Hopefully I'll get a test ride in on Friday.

Latest posts

Back