Donkey Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'll be starting the actual build for this bike in a couple-few weeks, but I wanted to start the thread, mainly as a way to put the inspirational video someplace where I'll find it when I need it. I plan on building my own version of this, which will be pretty much just like what you see. For my larger drive wheel, I'm debating with myself between a 2 speed kickback hub, or a NEXXUS 3 speed that I've got.

I have given some thought to a donkey bike too. In my vision though, I think the handlebars pivoting on the seat post with linkage to steer the front wheel would be a better setup than swinging the whole bar / stem assembly when trying to steer.

I have given some thought to a donkey bike too. In my vision though, I think the handlebars pivoting on the seat post with linkage to steer the front wheel would be a better setup than swinging the whole bar / stem assembly when trying to steer.

That's a good idea. I'll probably do it similar to the video for simplicity, but if I don't like the feeling of it, I'll consider that a back up plan.

That's a great old video. I loved @irzouts wheelie version of this bike style in BONINE. I think it was called Pontiac.
Can't wait to see your build!

Love the Donkey bike; i kinda want 1, but i'll stick to the cycletruck....

Take a gander at the centaur bike:

LOL@! I was thinkin donk bike...

4010581074_984b5e53b0.jpg

I bought a kids 12 1/2" bike for $5 off of Craigslist, and matched it to the rear off of a middleweight bike that I had hacked off for a previous project.
a2e2e351-0c9b-4b72-aca8-d62b06001ee0_zps26423f1d.jpg

Welded it all together, and completed the frame.
IMG_2943_zps34e22803.jpg

IMG_2944_zpsb0b432fe.jpg

I'm not positive that the 1" tubing hanging out there is strong enough to take my weight, but time will tell, I suppose. Got to make the stem and bars, which will be the most complicated part of this build.

Wow, that was quick! Looks like this might be fun with a wheelie bar on it too!

While I know nothing about them, would guess that you want your seat ahead of the center of the rear wheel. Otherwise you will not have enough weight on the front tire to steer(like a tractor pulling too big a plow). Perhaps a bread loaf type seat with vertical supports to the rear axle would keep the upper tube from bowing. Of course a banana seat would allow you to shift your weight and provide a proof of concept.

Well, after having abandoned this build for a year, I picked it back up recently, made some geometry improvements, and got this thing finished up. I haven't taken her on a long ride yet, but so far, I really like the ride. Very comfortable, and the rider sits up straight.
IMG_3986_zpsufcuackm.jpg

IMG_3985_zps6zrxq1g4.jpg

IMG_3987_zpsrz7hlm8c.jpg

And here's a video of me riding it before I painted it:

Latest posts

Back