Double rim wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there successfully build a double rim wheel for their bike? I'm building a simple barrio cruiser, so it doesn't have to be crazy strong or over built. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Saw this posted on Instagram right after reading this thread

2CBFC11B-524D-4989-8ACC-C971201A33C9.png

It seems to me a couple of 36 holes rims oughta lace right onto a 72 hole hub... it's a thing I've been debating on too.

Carl.
Ha. It'd be fun to figure out too. Two different length spokes for each side? Or right flange left rim, and left flange right rim, pulling each side towards the middle? I suppose you'd want some kind of little spacers between the rims, just to handle the tire overhang. Maybe some of those little screws that go into each other with no nuts (I don't know what they're called) But a guy could drill a few holes around the rims say six... and a few tiny washers between the rims with those specialty bolts would probably be pretty slick. Now to calculate the spokes...

Carl.

Ha. It'd be fun to figure out too. Two different length spokes for each side? Or right flange left rim, and left flange right rim, pulling each side towards the middle? I suppose you'd want some kind of little spacers between the rims, just to handle the tire overhang. Maybe some of those little screws that go into each other with no nuts (I don't know what they're called) But a guy could drill a few holes around the rims say six... and a few tiny washers between the rims with those specialty bolts would probably be pretty slick. Now to calculate the spokes...

Carl.
Those are called sexbolts.

I just had to google it.
Awesome. :bandit:

An engineer's wife "Honey, I think it is time You told little Tommy about the birds and the bees."
Thank you @LukeTheJoker the old carpenter in me was thinking just bend over some old nails ;) sexbolts... probably won't forget that one...

Merle.
Yeah, not the greatest name, I mean I understand why they are called that, but there may be other things that come up if you did a Google search... :confused:

Only reason I know is because I had to ask at a bolt shop when I built the split diff pumpkin on Flip the Script...

Yeah, not the greatest name, I mean I understand why they are called that, but there may be other things that come up if you did a Google search... :confused:

No, they were the first thing that came up. It is just that, as You say, I immediately understood why they are called that. :blush:

Latest posts

Back