Drag Queen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChoppeRon said:
I recognise those 2 frames! They spent a few years in my collection. Glad to see they are getting some attention paid to them! :D
I shoulda guessed that you had your hands on one or two of them at some time :D , it's just pretty cool that they'd make it from you all the way north of the border. Which 2 frames? The Drag Duster (bought off CL in Missoula Montana 6 months ago) The Hiawatha Penetrator (Ebay 2-3 years ago) The Sears Screamer (local bike swap in Vancouver B.C. 1 year ago) The Eatons Road King (local CL a year ago) or the Raleigh Tracker (second hand sports equipment store a few months ago)? The springer forks are definitely from you as I bought them off your ebay site for the Hiawatha Penetrator, but never ended up building it as I went with my Sears Rail project at that time and never got back to it. I'm sure I've bought a few other things from you over the years, especially before I found RRB as I was an ebay junkie :oops: !

Dude, it's ChoppeRon from Surrey B.C., ( the guy you bought the Sears Screamer from last year) not RaleighRon from N. Carolina ( he also goes by RailRider on here), who I assume you are thinking it is. My mistake on the Drag Duster frame. I sold a Murray Eliminator frame exactly like that 2 years ago at the last swap meet Dave Spicer put on. It was bare metal, and had faded graphics on the chainguard as well. I see a seatpan in a box that looks a lot like the one that went with it too. Thought it was you that bought it, my bad. :oops: I got beat up on it pretty good because I didn't want the hassle of selling to a worldwide market. Good luck with the build, I'll be watching.

ChoppeRon said:
Dude, it's ChoppeRon from Surrey B.C., ( the guy you bought the Sears Screamer from last year) not RaleighRon from N. Carolina ( he also goes by RailRider on here), who I assume you are thinking it is. My mistake on the Drag Duster frame. I sold a Murray Eliminator frame exactly like that 2 years ago at the last swap meet Dave Spicer put on. It was bare metal, and had faded graphics on the chainguard as well. I see a seatpan in a box that looks a lot like the one that went with it too. Thought it was you that bought it, my bad. :oops: I got beat up on it pretty good because I didn't want the hassle of selling to a worldwide market. Good luck with the build, I'll be watching.
My bad lol, that sure is the Sears Screamer, and I was thinking of Raleigh Ron! And I showed up just as you sold the Eliminator to that other guy out back of the coffee shop on Main 2 years ago. I was so disappointed cause I was looking for one and you only sold it for $50 (at least that's how I remember it lol). I used the springer front forks from the Screamer on my Rail build, but I'm planning on building the rest of the Screamer for my nephew. Started to work on the guard on this build today, so I will post pics Wednesday(ish) and hopefully will have the rest of the frame painted and ready to go this weekend. Hope all is well with you and sorry about the confusion (ChoppeRon, RaleighRon, RailRider, It's all so confusing :oops: )

So, I haven't had a lot of luck getting things done as I have been very busy with work these past 2 weeks, but I thought I should at least post what little progress I have got done, so my build thread doesn't go stale.

I tried painting my chainguard, but had an issue with the topcoat reacting with the primer and doing this weird cracking/bunching/peeling sort of thing.

here are the pics from that attempt

and here is my 2nd attempt without the primer added

I still have to clean up the edges, freehand a black border, and get my sister-in-law to do some calligraphy for me before I finish the chainguard off with a clear coat and something else that I'm not going to divulge until I see if it actually works and can post pictures to prove it :D

So, I have been working like a dog and not sleeping much since my wife has troubles sleeping since she's been pregnant, so I haven't got much done. I still thought I'd show you all what I have got done since the last update, as it was ages ago.

So I have given my sister in law my chainguard to do some calligraphy (lettering) on it, but this is what it looked like before I sent it.

I used glitter when clearcoating it to see how it would look, and though it leaves the paint textured, it doesn't look awful, so I think I will keep it. I will have to give it another clear coat afterwards and then remove the clearcoat from the bare chrome.

Next I painted the forks. I used the same burnt copper as I used on the chainguard.

Then I finally greased up the bearings and attached the forks, although I did have to use 2 small headtube spacers to get the proper fit.

I will have to do some touch-up paint on the forks and give it a wipe down to get all the grease off, but that'll wait til later. I also stole my wife's wine-stopper and will probably look for it's twin to use as plugs atop the forks.

That's all for now, unfortunately, but hopefully I'll get the guard back and finished by next weekend. :D

Was originally going to use a different sprocket and crank as I didn't think this one would clean up well, but an SOS pad and some elbow grease got most of the rust off, and all the crappy red house paint. Now I wish I had a before pic to show the transformation.

love that color combo 8) not sure about the pink stone tho , but i don't even know what you have in mind for this bike , could be cool
how about 2 stems in there for the handlebars and a central knob in the steering tube ? :wink:

this is cool the jewel in the fork is flashy :lol: :wink: can you light it from below? love the frame and fork!! colors to :!:

Troy

OneHorsePower said:
love that color combo 8) not sure about the pink stone tho , but i don't even know what you have in mind for this bike , could be cool
how about 2 stems in there for the handlebars and a central knob in the steering tube ? :wink:
Thanks for the thumbs up on the colour combo, as I wasn't sure they would look good together, but am pleased with the results so far. I like the idea of 2 stems for the handlebars, but I also am thinking of making my own bars out of some tubing I have and some help from my brother in law and his welder (and possibly his bosses pipe bender) Not sure about the "pink" stone either, but I am going to look for some pale blue ones, as I am trying to make her super flashy and am hoping some bling will give her that "Drag Queen" feel.

when i think drag queen , all i see is :
ScarfFFBrightBlue.jpg

this is flashy stuff :mrgreen:

So I finally got my chainguard back from my sister-in-law, and her calligraphy is awesome. I had a vision for it, and gave her a basic outline for what I wanted, but gave her creative license to "go to town" and boy oh boy, I was not disappointed in the least.

I'm sorry that the flash on my phone obscures the bottom swoop on the Q, but I'm sure you see how amazing her work is.

On the more mundane side, I cleaned up the rear wheel I'll be using. I decided to go with idea of making it a single speed bike with a coaster brake rather than my original plan of using the 3 speed hub and shifter (pictured on p1). I think it'll look cleaner without the cables and will be easier for me to set up and finish with our baby due June 18th (tomorrow.....yikes!). Gotta replace a missing spoke and figure out the tire situation, but I am now pumped to get some work done now that I got the chainguard back.

Sweeeet chainguard. That Lil ratter will be proud. Peace

Sis has some cool skillz.
Best wishes with new child.

awesome chain guard dude! love the lettering

Troy

Latest posts

Back