~DRAGUAR~ Finished and on the prowl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had big plans during this summer's build-off, unfortunately they barely went past the planning stage, so I'm giving it another try.
My bike, a hodgepodge early '60's Schwinn Jaguar has been sitting in my driveway taunting me since I set it aside last August. Here's how it started out

and here's how I left it.

I don't really know where I'm going with this build, I know the light mount thing is coming off, aside from that only time will tell.
Please forgive my tardiness, I just noticed this build-off was going on, and figured it was a chance to get this thing built finally.
With a little luck, and a lot of work I think I can pull it off.

Welcome! I like what I'm seeing so far! One of my favorite Schwinns. I think the light is really cool! A different mounting method might look better. I know what you are up against, unless you use a stem type mount for it, you have to get real creative mounting to that type springer.

Welcome! I like what I'm seeing so far! One of my favorite Schwinns. I think the light is really cool! A different mounting method might look better. I know what you are up against, unless you use a stem type mount for it, you have to get real creative mounting to that type springer.
I may go the route I used on my daily driver, I'll just have to work out a few bugs because the fork I used for it was raw steel, not chrome plated so I could weld, drill, pin, etc. and not have to worry about plating.

Paint hides a multitude of sins. Chrome is going to be a bit of a challenge.

So far things are going slowly, I did pick up a used Huffy with 57mm wheels that almost perfectly match the bikes faded copper tone. They came with cream 2.35's which I'll probably be replacing. I planned to use the original wheel set, S-7's/Bendix Automatic, but I kind of pride myself on riding a single speed, and the coincidental paint match has got me going with the new wheels. Tomorrow I'll hopefully get some new tires on, and see if there's enough clearance. The fender is pretty rough and looks to have a hairline crack, so if I have to I'll lose it or, heaven forbid, take the old cut off saw to it. I may get smacked for bobbing an original stainless fender, but in my head it looks so cool, and in the end, that's all that matters.
I think my goal with this bike, is to make it look cool, ride well, and be easy on my wallet. If I can achieve these goals, in my eyes, I'll win, my prize is getting to ride an awesome bike, that I built, and that's what this really is about.

+1! Easy on the wallet is what I'm shooting for also. So far, I already had everything for this build other than the chainring. Of course, I had to purchase or trade for the rest of the stuff in the past. Bobbed fender is ok with me. You are building this for you! I like it.

So far things are going slowly, I did pick up a used Huffy with 57mm wheels that almost perfectly match the bikes faded copper tone. They came with cream 2.35's which I'll probably be replacing. I planned to use the original wheel set, S-7's/Bendix Automatic, but I kind of pride myself on riding a single speed, and the coincidental paint match has got me going with the new wheels. Tomorrow I'll hopefully get some new tires on, and see if there's enough clearance. The fender is pretty rough and looks to have a hairline crack, so if I have to I'll lose it or, heaven forbid, take the old cut off saw to it. I may get smacked for bobbing an original stainless fender, but in my head it looks so cool, and in the end, that's all that matters.
I think my goal with this bike, is to make it look cool, ride well, and be easy on my wallet. If I can achieve these goals, in my eyes, I'll win, my prize is getting to ride an awesome bike, that I built, and that's what this really is about.
Sounds great!

Luke.

Last night I got some generic 26x1.25 white walls mounted on the new rims, and they are exactly what this project needs, I'm a little worried about fender clearance, it seems to be rubbing a little, but mostly at the rear, so I think I am going to cut up the fender.
My next door neighbor is moving and gave me a large Rubbermaid tote full of bike parts with some motorcycle odds and ends thrown in, so I've got an even larger inventory of bars, stems, etc. to choose from. Does anyone need a pair of black 5 spoke Z Mags or a 20" rear with a Bendix red band? Most of the stuff I got for 20" bikes and I prefer 26. So I'll probably be doing some liquidation.
Today I'm going to try and work out the light mount, and fender, and maybe get some mock up pics up.

As promised wheel/ tire.

As you can see it's almost a dead ringer for Schwinn copper tone that's sat outside for years.
As a bit of a teaser, here's the mangled part of the fender I will not be using.

Stay tuned there's some great pics of the new light mount which is almost done, and perhaps some mockups on the way. Right now my workspace looks like a bike blew up, so I've got to get back out there before my 3 year old son walks away with anything important.

I got the light mount finished and got some pictures while it was still light. The light mount consists of two sissy bar clamps and some 14g steel flat stock.
Basically I cut a piece to go between each truss rod, attached with bolts, and a piece with a 90 degree bend to mount in the middle. The light is attached to the bent piece via a bolt.

I still need to wire the light and do a million other things but I feel I got a decent amount of work done for one day. I even went to the park with my wife and son, and still managed to do most I had planned to do.

I got a lot done today, nowhere near finished, but thought I did a little dry assembly and here's where I am so far.

I still have some metal to clean up and polish, but not all, I like the rusty crusty, this thing sat outside for years look, it's a rat after all. I'm pretty sure I will also be applying some clear over the frame. I'm pretty sure I found the bars I'll be using in with the junk my neighbor gave me although they'll need some trimming.

They're 7/8" clubman bars and unlike most, unknurled, so I won't have weird knurling on either side of the stem, which I guess will have to be a BMX style.
Well that's it for today, I'm off work tomorrow, so I may get some more done, or, I may just take a break.

Nice bars! Is it bad that I am imagining them flipped for that extreme boardtracker look?

Luke.
You usually see them flipped on motorcycles,generally cafe racers, I thought that might be kind of cool too, but so uncomfortable. I try to consider the "daily driver" possibility in every build, my Hawthorne, pictured in an earlier post sees about 10 miles a day, in traffic, around a busy university. When I build a bike I'm seeing it more as something different to ride to work, to break up the monotony of the work week.

I haven't had much time to invest this week, however I figured out which grips I'm using, and I bobbed the bars 4 1/2" on either side, I'm still working on a stem, and rethinking, the clear coat. Right now I've got a little shine from the chrome, and I think I'm liking that look, rust, chrome, and 50 years worth of patina. This is a rat build so I don't want to have it coming out too clean or shiny. I think right now I'm going to clean up the crank and fork a bit, do some detail work, find a seat that sets it all off, grease it and get the light wired, and call it done. Now that I have all those things in print, it seems I've still got a ways to go.
Thinking back to the seat, I still haven't pinned down, is it just me or does it seem like people are veering away from the Brooks saddles? It seems for a while 2 out of 3 bikes you saw come build off time were sporting B17's or B72's and now it seems that trend may be passing, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed?

Latest posts

Back