Draguar - NEW FORK/ HEADLIGHT MOUNT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Draguar - Update -

Why not pull the drive train off and let him use it as a kick bike to get his balance down? Then you can reinstall the cranks and stuff and he'll be ready to rock.

kim_dude said:
Why not pull the drive train off and let him use it as a kick bike to get his balance down? Then you can reinstall the cranks and stuff and he'll be ready to rock.
I thought about that at first but it seems balancing isn't so much a problem as his desire to backpedal like he did with his tricycle. When he tries to slow down he just brakes and loses his balance, for him it seems a fixed gear would be ideal, but I'm pretty sure they don't exist for 12 1/2" wheels.

Re: Draguar - The madness! The mystery revealed.

Glen said:
Missing Link said:
River City Speed said:
I'm digging that headlight! Do you know what it's originally from?
It's the lamp unit from a pillar mount spotlight like on police cars, it's badged Mercury, but the guy I bought it from took it off a '54 Ford.

8) I am using one of those on my build too, but it's not as cool looking as yours...

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=72610#p704488
I also have one of those head lites and love it and am dying to use it on a build...My problem has been what to do about a lens as the light has a sealed beam type of light and I want a nice glass lens...would love to see details how you guys convert this lite over to LEDs

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=72610#p704488[/quote]
I also have one of those head lites and love it and am dying to use it on a build...My problem has been what to do about a lens as the light has a sealed beam type of light and I want a nice glass lens...would love to see details how you guys convert this lite over to LEDs[/quote]

I just carefully broke the glass where the filaments exit the back, pulled the filaments out , and replaced them with LEDs from two dollar store booklights. I then wired a two way toggle between the lights and the battery pack from one of the booklights which I attached with double stick tape to the inside of the housing.

Missing Link said:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=72610#p704488
I also have one of those head lites and love it and am dying to use it on a build...My problem has been what to do about a lens as the light has a sealed beam type of light and I want a nice glass lens...would love to see details how you guys convert this lite over to LEDs

I just carefully broke the glass where the filaments exit the back, pulled the filaments out , and replaced them with LEDs from two dollar store booklights. I then wired a two way toggle between the lights and the battery pack from one of the booklights which I attached with double stick tape to the inside of the housing.

Yeah, that's exactly what I am planning to do. Have not done it yet so might try this afternoon and take photos to post on my thread.

Glen said:
Missing Link said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I am planning to do. Have not done it yet so might try this afternoon and take photos to post on my thread.

Ok... so I did it this afternoon and the resulting photos can be found on my build thread...

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=72610&p=717212#p717212

Seems to work fine too :D

I love this build!
I may have to steal / borrow / modify your idea on the headlamp mounting. You still love me, right? :wink: :mrgreen:
Killer bike dude!

Glen said:
Glen said:
Missing Link said:

Ok... so I did it this afternoon and the resulting photos can be found on my build thread...

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=72610&p=717212#p717212

Seems to work fine too :D
Thanks for posting the headlight conversion...think it is possible to use some dremal tool to open the back more for more LEDs???
Love the build

bebopblu said:
Thanks for posting the headlight conversion...think it is possible to use some dremal tool to open the back more for more LEDs???
Love the build

Yes, Luke did that, see here...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70413&hilit=led#p681272

Re: Draguar - Thinking about changing bikes

I'm still in the mock up stage with Draguar, and this last weekend I came into something so cool, so quintessentially ratty, it just begs to be built, and soon. This bike has been sitting in a pasture for the last 20 if not 30 years, from what I can tell it's a Huffy Galaxy, probably a '63-'64 and aside from the light part of the tank, which is disintegrated beyond all hope, it's complete. So if you guys out there in interweb land could give me some input as to whether or not I should switch bikes, that would be great. Here's some pics.

My son, Henry is kind of fond of this bike. From the lichen covered tank and rack, to the broken reflector.

I'm pretty sure I'm switching but I'll decide after some input from you guys.

Re: Draguar - Thinking of switching bikes-

HEY!! WHAT DO YOU GOTTA LOSE?!!?

Re: Draguar - Thinking of switching bikes-

I'm still on the fence. One way or another they're both getting built, depending on how my junk shop expedition goes tomorrow I may figure things out.

Re: Draguar - Stickin' it out -

My Saturday junking adventure yielded only things that would work for Draguar, so the bike switch is off. I've got a fork to strip and modify, and ultimately paint, a taillight to wire and build mounting hardware for, and a fender situation to sort out, and I've still got to handle the mechanical side. So I guess its a good thing I didn't switch bikes. I'll post pics as I get anything done, right now it's in the triple digits, in the shade, and the humidity just makes it worse so, I'm staying inside and enjoying my family.

Actually got around to working on my bike today. Things are starting to come together, I got a new fork, came up with a different headlight mount, all that's left is final fit and finish and some paint. Then I can move on to the rest of the bike.

I also picked up a new project.

It's early '60's, Murray, and the graphics all still pop, the paint's a little faded, but it's got mainly surface rust and minimally.

Big shiny lights are always cool.
Dig the trike project too!

Latest posts

Back