Dragula De-Luxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

Reaction score
I'm running low on decent spares so this ones going to end up being pretty creative. It should work out well for this build-off. Since Halloween is coming up I might build something somewhat macabre, not sure yet. My projected budget is about $25, to cover hardware, paint, etc. The base is a 24" ladies Murray frame. There's more to come shortly.
dragula2.jpg

dragula.jpg

Today I managed to get most of the frame down to bare metal, I removed roughly 1 1/2 inches off the head tube and fabricated the new seat post. I had to put the seat higher than I really wanted but it's necessary to make it truly rideable. It still flows well with the rest of the frame. The frame is basically done now, I need to clean up the welds and prep for paint.
dragula3.jpg

Re: Dragula De-Luxe (Saturday 3 Update)

The dragula had 8 pipes that went straight up with a sharp angle cut, no room for that, let alone the fact that it would make riding the bike safely somewhat tough. I used 2 chrome pipes that angle to the back instead. The rear one doubles as the seat post. Before anyone says it, yes the headset cups are tacked in, you'll see why later.
dragula6.jpg

I got all the welds cleaned up and spread a little filler around last night.
dragula7.jpg

Got it painted this afternoon.
dragula8.jpg

I went with a suede black, and despite the poor paint (must be an old can) the finish is decent. Now you can see the molded headset which was the reason for the welds.

Finished the fork, and then promptly scraped the paint up not paying attention! Oh well, it can be touched up. The crown is raw unpainted and waxed to slow down the rust. So far I'm well within my projected budget.
dragula11.jpg

The frame design was inspired by a flip frame mixte I saw on the ratpatrol site. I was going to use a road frame but thought the curved frame would look much better. The bulk of the bike is assembled but there is still a lot of detail work do be done, and I need to figure out what I'm going to do with the wheels. It has an interesting stance and the 26" wheels fit the 24" frame like a glove.
dragula13.jpg

dragula12.jpg

dragula14.jpg

Just recovered from a computer failure, luckily I had my pictures backed up! I'm really stuck with a predicament, with the black paint it almost looks kind of boring since it hides all the interesting stuff.

That looks cool so far . You ought to take it one step further...since your so close...and cut the bb off and weld it to a piece of pipe and slide it forward about 5 or 6 inches. How much ever you can get by with and not hit your feet on the back or the tire when you pedal. It will be oh so much more comfortable to ride.

mockup006.jpg

I did 2 miles on it and it wasn't uncomfortable, about the same as riding a 20" bike. If it had a longer wheelbase I probably would have put the bottom bracket more forward.

Latest posts

Back