"DUCYCLE" The Duct Tape Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DUCYCLE update 7/30 teaser pic

thanx luke
it would have been alot eaiser and cleaner if i would have bought the 3" wide tape instead of the stadard 2" wide

Nice looking teaser. This has been a fun and creative build to follow.

Another example for those without a heap of workshop tools and space.

With Duck tape everything else out there I bet you will end up with a heap of hits in the longer term too.

Like the colour scheme too.

VERY creative and impressive work.
Great ingenuity and imagination too.
I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure.

Re: DUCYCLE update 8/1 sponship graphics done

since this is modeled after a racing bike and I had a big blank canvas between the seat post tube and rear tire I decided to put on
"sponship" decals made completely out of duct tape

100_0808_zpsb65be95e.jpg

Top dercal is the most obvious its the Ratrodbikes sticker logo

2nd is Shurtape
Its on there since this is the brand Duct tape that i ended up going with
this brand i chose over the comparable Nashua 357 premium (the style reprtaly used on mythbusters) the suretape had slightly more
color choises
I am using the contractor grade PC 622

3rd is the Findtape.com Logo
This is website where i was able to compare the specs on the different duct tapes as well as place the order for the tape

4th is the Duro tire logo
I am using Duro Cordoba tires 28 x 1.175 on the rear / 26 x 1.75 on the front

5th is the USPS logo
i picked this as the final design since most of the items i bought for this bike that i didnt get at swapmeets where bought online and
shipped using usps the other reason is the fact that they sponsor the American bicycle racing team so it sems fitting to have it

Now to get to the Duct tape pinstriping

Re: DUCYCLE update 8/2 working on race bars

Started working on the last major part of the bike
originaly i was going to do the bars in a diferent way but it wasn't working out
when i saw how Renaissance Man used seat post clamps for his board track bars on Southern Flyer i decided to "borrow" that idea but alter it to fit my needs.

I'm starting with aluminum city bike bars and cutting out the middle
100_0795_zpsc5f4dfcb.jpg

once those where cut here is the pile of parts to create my adjustable race mode to cruiser mode
100_0811_zpsbbf58fef.jpg

next step involved griding down both sides of the cut out middle piece (one side left normal to show before and after difference
100_0812_zpsdbb49122.jpg

Re: DUCYCLE update 8/2 adjustable race bars done

ended up having enough time to get the bars done (except for wraping them)
the idea was i wanted to get them to work in similar fashion to kelly adjustable handlebars but horizontaly rather than verticaly
I would have like to make them operate on 1 bolt instead of 2 but ran out of time and resources
fortunately using the british forged aluminum schwinn gooseneck and aluminum handlebars offset all the steel of the clamps
so its still somewhat light

This is in race mode
100_0813_zpsf6fc7329.jpg

And this is cruiser mode
100_0814_zpscfec8ab6.jpg

Re: DUCYCLE update 8/2 adjustable race bars done

BRILIIANT!!!!
Now put some tape on those boys!

Re: DUCYCLE update 8/3 "Pinstriping"

one of the last things that needed to be done before final assembly was the pinstriping

i used the same method as the graphics however i neede to use a straightedge to get narrow, long and straight lines
100_0816_zps7d040769.jpg

once i had the "pinstripes cut i layed them over most of the visable seams where the duct tape either butted up or overlaped

before
100_0819_zpsf2d65fe8.jpg

After
100_0820_zps63055a71.jpg

Here is a picture with most of the areas pinstriped
you can also see in the picture i was able to wrap the race bars (i used 1/2 strips of tape tp wrap them)
i may also redo the scallop graphics on the "tank" area
100_0821_zps0734f886.jpg

Re: DUCYCLE update 8/3 its a Racer

Well i was able to get her up and racing and it is fast in the top end with the 54t chainring and the 16t rear sprocket
but i still have some detail work to do tonight before i take my entry photo tomorrow before work
However may have to wait untill tuesday to do my complete photo shoot taken and uploaded

here is a picture of the almost finished product enjoy
100_0822_zpsd0e376ea.jpg

Re: DUCYCLE update 8/4 taking flight to finished section

I got all the finnishing work done last night
changed over the tank design to the classic feather scallop (i feel it fits the design better)
i did notice that i need to kick up the rear sproket from 16t to 17t to pull the rear tire away more (very slight rub)

100_0829_zps28bf5c56.jpg

100_0828_zps210d2013.jpg

Re: DUCYCLE update 8/1 sponship graphics done

MONARKofSoCal said:
5th is the USPS logo I picked this as the final design since most of the items i bought for this bike that i didn't get at swap meets where bought online and
shipped using USPS the other reason is the fact that they sponsor the American bicycle racing team so it seems fitting to have it

Another fitting reason is if you want a package to survive a trip through USPS use DUCT TAPE!!! I have had their little adhesive thing on small flat rate boxes open up during shipping and even had packaging tape let go a few times. From now on I wrap it with DUCT TAPE! It might look redneck but it always stays in the box.

Latest posts

Back