"Duke" - 83' Peugeot SS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Got this from a guy at work for free. It looked like this the day I picked it up.
a8a68823.jpg

Cleaned, all aluminum parts polished, new tires, chain, pedals, freewheel, grips, used bars and a lot less extra junk on the bike..
057db027.jpg

60ea5142.jpg

Re: 1983 Peugeot single speed

The 52T front ring is WWAAYY too big. I mean, I like a leg work out but this is ridiculous! The problem with this is that its a 122mm BCD and is obsolete... Sooo if I want a smaller ring, say 48ish.... Im gonna have to sit on eBay until one pops up.

ya, a 20 or 21 on the rear might do the job. but I agree, I usually run a 44 or there about on a single speed. I like to spin.

1983 Peugeot single speed

I should have known better than to take what my LBS told me to heart. I usually research things until I find what I need, but they said "you can only get em as small as 15 and as big as 18". Geez..

Think I'll try that 22. The 18 I have on there now is a Shimano and I like how quiet it is. For the money tho, that 22 is practically disposable so if it falls apart, no big loss. :)

BTW thanks for the links!

ya, I would try that 22 too. What the heck, it might be good, and it's not a lot of money. I learned something too, I thought 21s were as big as they got, albeit hard to find. My LBSs only stock up to 18 also.

If you ran the 30-something original low ring that came on it, you could be spinning big time. :lol: The 52-20 on this coaster is a decent gear, but it's 26" wheels. 22 sounds like a winner.

bike%202%20041.jpg

That Peugeot is sweet! How hard was it to take the smaller sprocket out? It seems like that's always the biggest challenge!

52 teeth up front is a bit large but not too bad; a high number in the rear would be perfect. Some people would think I'm crazy with my gear ratio on my Fuji single speed at 52:16 but I like it; you can really fly!!! You sure you don't want to go 16 teeth in the rear? Hehe.

schwinnmesa said:
That Peugeot is sweet! How hard was it to take the smaller sprocket out? It seems like that's always the biggest challenge!

52 teeth up front is a bit large but not too bad; a high number in the rear would be perfect. Some people would think I'm crazy with my gear ratio on my Fuji single speed at 52:16 but I like it; you can really fly!!! You sure you don't want to go 16 teeth in the rear? Hehe.

Taking off the small chain ring was easy. I just put the 52 on the back side of the spider and trimmed the sprocket bolts down to work with a single sprocket. I was lucky as the 52 literally is as close as it can be to the chain stay without rubbing! You couldn't slide a piece of binder paper in there. :D

BTW, its up for sale here:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42314

I've decided to go ahead and keep this guy for now. We named him "Duke". I think it fits. :)

Heres an Origin 8 seat and an ACS Crossfire 22t freewheel I got for it. Hope the 22 makes for a sweet gear ratio!
a6cd8a85-924c-03e0.jpg

so have you ridden the 52/22 gear ratio yet?

No, not yet. Been working since I got the new freewheel. I'll get it put on tomorrow and add a couple links to the chain.
Also need to re-thread the original seat post. The pivot is held in with two bolts and on one of them the threads are buggered up and won't thread in all the way. No fun riding with a loose seat! The problem is, the thread pitch is M6x1.25 which is apparently not common anymore.. I think what I'll have to do is get a couple time-certs in M6x1.0. Hope that works.. Peugeot seat posts are 24mm...... another ODD size!! Can't just replace it, so I gotta make it work.

How did you get the paintjob so clean? It looks like there's a lot of rust on the "before" pics. I also have an old peugeot frame with a very tired paintjob, but i like the decals, so I would like to clean it up instead of repainting. Would a layer of clear coat do the job??

"Duke" - 83' Peugeot SS

There really wasn't much rust. Only had surface rust on the chain stays near the bottom bracket and some on the fork drop outs. As far as the paint... After I gave it a good bath i used some polishing compound on the paint and buffed up a little. Now I hit it with some spray detailer once in a while.

If you like the decals, but you have some rust spots.. You could sand/grind the rust away in those spots and touch up with matching paint. Or, like you said, you could hit the whole frame with some clear. I'd wet sand the whole frame first though, and also get rid of as much rust as possible.

thanks, I also planned on wet-sanding the frame first, and then give it some clear coating. I really haven't got that much rust, but alot of small scratches on the frame, so the paint does not shine as much anymore.
Here is mine:
peugeot.jpg

Latest posts

Back