BO15 Dumpster Diamond (Formerly "First Ever Build Off with a Postwar Hawthorne")

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a tip from Horsefarmer, I stood my MTBpedals on their end in a small bucket, and gravity fed them a dose of 3 in 1 oil. Let it soak in good. It works for stiff bearings, I dunno about crunchy though

Progress as of yesterday:

Took apart the original Western Flyer pedals that came with the Hawthorne when I bought it, and decided to soak them in vinegar and water just long enough to remove the rust inside the bearing cups.
BFtD_hawthorne169.jpg

My plan is that once I get rid of the rust, I'll squeeze as much grease as possible into the crevices where I can see the bearings. Once that's done, I'll replace the worn out blocks and reassemble and attach these pedals to the bike.
BFtD_hawthorne170.jpg

The big deal of yesterday's progress was reassembling the wheel hubs and coaster brake, something I have never done before. It wasn't super easy, but now that I know how to do it, I know I can do it better next time. I slapped on a random set of pedals I had laying around, installed the chain, and took Dumpster Diamond on her maiden voyage. I had to readjust a number of nuts and bolts in the process, but she pedals smooth, stops reasonably well, and with the handlebars upside-down, corners HORRIBLY!!!! I need a nice open parking lot just to turn this bike around!
BFtD_hawthorne171.jpg

So, with that in mind, I decided to flip the handlebars to see how much of a difference that makes. Turns out, Dumpster Diamond can really turn when my knees don't sit between the handlebars. The more I rode it this way, the more I liked it. While it doesn't look quite as cool, it is way more functional.
BFtD_hawthorne172.jpg

I should have the decals for the chain guard and number plates ready today, so Dumpster Diamond will actually look complete. In the meantime, I'll be tinkering with the pedals I want to use, and a few other handlebars to see what looks best. I'll also try to make a custom wood tank today as well. Lastly, If weather permits, I'll try getting my finished pictures shot today, or at least mocked up.

Latest posts

Back