DX Klunker "It's done"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in. My regular puter took a dive and I can't get my pics to download on this one. :x I got a DX, I'll have to check but I think it is a 51. I started to sand it today and found a few rust spots where it had been scratched, so I blasted those spots. Well you know how that goes, there is no stoping place. The whole bike is now blasted and ready for primer. I need to get back to getting pictures to work, so that is it for now. I just wanted my name in the hat.

Re: DX Klunker

Is this the old 24" Dx you got from me a while back? Can't wait to see what your plans are.

Yep. I used all the parts on the frame I had as a kid. So it was just laying around waiting for some donor parts. Still trying to get pics up. :? Dang windows VISTA

OK, I got the pics loaded. But I can't remember how to get more than one to load. So here is one of four I got.
This is the frame I'll be using.
BlackBiKe.jpg

Guess I'll just edit till I get it all in. Well I don't know what happened to the color on this one :?
Here it is blasted clean. Started to just blast a few rusty scratches but it was going pretty good so next thing I know, it is all silver looking.
10-09-08_1535cleanbike.jpg

This is my donor, a huffy 10 speed. I got it Saturday at the Goodwill store.
klunkerdonor.jpg

This is what I ended up with about midnight last nite. Taped the cables up and took a test ride. Going to change some things but it is close to tear down and paint. Need a bracket for rear brake mount, change front sproket to single (5 speed) sproket, and change the handle bars to something more older. Then GET RID OF ALL THAT PINK.:)

klunkerparts1.jpg

A little update on my build. While waiting for some black cables, bear trap pedals, shiney handbrake levers, and crank, I got the wheels cleaned up, changed the chain wheel to a single one and reworked the handlebars that I want to use. Got the parts in today so final mockup should be soon. Then it will all come apart for paint. Only problem is that it has turned cold so I will have to wait for a nice day for painting. Maybe I will have some update pics soon.

blowapartpaintprep1.jpg

Well I got a lot done today. Broke it all down for paint and final parts cleaning. Got the parts cleaning done but no paint. I wet sanded the frame and went through a few spots so reprime was in order. It was to late in the day to resand and paint so that will wait until next week. I just didn't want to rush things at this point.

Just to let you know I'm still chipping away at this thing, but it is RAINING!! Sneak peek :wink:
buildoffbike3.jpg

that checkerboard is Kool...
did you use anything special to lay out the pattern???

ponytailmike
mike

Nothing special, just 3/4" masking tape. Start by wrapping tape around the legs, one wrap next to the first one all the way up. Then remove every other one. Then go vertical, one right next to the other. Remove every other one of these. You now have overlapping tape squares which you cut around the four sides with an x-acto knife, very slight preasure on the cuter. Remove the squares you just cut around,( the ones with two layers of tape) and spray contrasting color. I sprayed the whole thing white then black after taping. Does that make any sense at all? I am one that can show you how to do something, but can't explain how I do'ed it. :oops:

RODLAND...Cool build going on there...say,what are you going to do with those turquoise cable housings?...wanna sell 'em? I could use them on a project I've been kicking around...PAPPY 8)

Pappy... It is only the housings. I reused the cables as I had already cut them to fit. PM me an address and they are yours.

Small update. First coat, base.

DXKlunker1.jpg

First coat, paint.
DXKlunker3.jpg

I'm calling it done. Better pics to follow, as weather permits.

doneDX6.jpg

doneDX1.jpg

Latest posts

Back