Dyno help. Am I seeing things?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am a huge GT fan. In turn I love Dyno cruiser builds, of which I have a few. However this one is a new one on me.

A weekend or two ago I picked up a few Dyno frames, 2-26", 1-24", a KK stretch and a tank. All good future projects and whatever but I came across something I have not seen and am wondering what is the deal.

One of the larger frames has quite a few things completely different than any other Dyno cruiser frame I have seen.

1- rear drop has the letter D stamped with a circle around it.
20171112_103724.jpg

2- top chainstay tube is longer at the dropout.
20171112_103935.jpg

3- the dropout distance in the rear is 3/4"+ wider than any other frame I have.....5.5"!
20171112_103854.jpg

4- the top chainstay where the brake mounts is drilled front to back not top to bottom.

Also the serial number, which I believe with GT is month/year when numerals start, has the letter I not a 1....
20171112_103642.jpg

Am i crazy? What gives? Is this the differences between a deuce and maybe a motoglide?

Last edited:
The rear spacing difference is likely due to single speed vs internal geared hub. Not a dyno expert, but I believe some had internally geared hubs. Single speed would be 110mm. 3 speed Shimano would be 120mm, 7 speed 130 or 135mm. Maybe even 4 speed, which was around in the late 90s

These are the three I picked up. @rrtbike
20171030_154541.jpg

And that is what I was thinking @Dizzle Problems , the MotoGlide came with an internal 4-spd but on the Motos I believe are a gusseted frame, meaning a plate at the headtube.

I wonder what type of cable guides those frames came with.....

I have seen pictures of a couple of frames with the seat stays extending to the end of the un-drilled/tapped drop-outs, interfering with fender braces, on the earliest built frames (~1996).
I believe that one of those that I saw was advertised as a 4-speed. So perhaps they started with their base model, without any fenders, or maybe only stubby-fenders.
With a 20+ year old frame, the drop-out spacing could have been tweaked.
the top chainstay where the brake mounts
left chain stay, seat stay, brake bridge - coaster brake, caliper brake?

dyno only stamped a year code for the first few years. 95,96,97,98. and they started with with a yc for year code. wy started in 99. i have seen first run deuce and motoglides not have a gusset. and the d stamp on the rear drop out is for deuce. as that is the only model i remember seeing it on. deuces had a wider rear frame to accommodate the 24x3 rear tire. the motoglide was really just a deluxe deuce with the nexus 4 speed and roller brakes. i believe the 99 first year of deuce was no gusset and by 2000 the had the gusset

I had a first year 1996 Duece and it had gusset.
And I currently have a Glide with the D stamp on the dropout. I believe it is a 1999.

Latest posts

Back