E-bike/scooter conversion: illegal in every province!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the eyes of the law here, it must be an e-bike coz it has pedals and is grossly underpowered. I thought I'd post it to inspire others (or give you all a good laugh). I originally bought this e-scooter because it was a give away price and the motor looked like one guys on endless-sphere have been pumping 3000 watts through. There are many, many road obstacles like it on the roads here and I knew if it worked out, people would be scratching their heads as I flew past them on it when completed. I started with the battery holder, bolted one of my spare 3000 watt controllers on and it climbed hills like a goat for about three days, then the free hub inside the reduction drive self-destructed. No problem I figured, just cut the motor mount off the swingarm and adapt a hub motor on there, at the same time I decided to upgraded to a rear disc brake so now it stops well too. It climbs the biggest hills I need to on my commute to work, puts out more than 1600 watts (3x the legal wattage) on 48 volts and tops out at 40 km/hr, but the controller can take up to 84 volts which would be scary powerful on such a tiny scooter with 16" wheels.

The original motor with gear reduction and drum brake.

Extending the swingarm.

Swing arm completed with new dropouts, shock mount on new side and disc brake adapter in foreground.

In the jig to keep things aligned and square.

Original mock up before shock and caliper mount fabrication.

This shows one of the two battery packs: LiFePo4 48 volt and the 3000 watt controller which I decided was just too much for the little scooter and went with a 1500 watt one.

Finished installation.

Thanks, it's really great when the weather is crappy, you can just tuck your feet inside and stay much drier than when I ride one of the regular e-bikes to work. The battery packs have slide off mounts that fit 2 of my other bikes. Just takes a few seconds to change from one to the other. Originally the scooter had a hard time making it up a driveway, never mind a decent hill. The small diameter wheels help it climb, hardly drops below 30km/h on most hills around town here.

Latest posts

Back