Earl Grey

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thinking of sitting this one out since I'm still having fun with my BONINE bike and don't really need (or have space for) another one in the fleet. After watching all the cool builds starting to take shape and all the fun everybody is having, I had to jump in with something.

This time I'm going with a simple, bomber style bike. I'm starting out with this NOS 1987 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme frame that was given to me by a fellow bike geek/swap meet friend. (Thanks AJ!) :grin:

IMG_0427_zpsxf2pr5f4.jpg

It has some neat prismatic decals on it. The gunmetal grey paint isn't too bad and has a little shelf wear to add character...

IMG_0428_zpsdotgnn0q.jpg

Giant-built frame with a 1987 date code.

IMG_0429_zpsvidm6mvm.jpg

Over the years I have been squirreling away parts that I picked up for "future projects". This bike will be one of those "projects" and my goal will be to build a complete bike with my stash and not have to buy anything for it. The challenge will be trying to remember where I put everything...:rolleyes:

It will be a simple build and should go together pretty quick once I find all the hidden-away parts. Hopefully they all play nicely with each other.

Love Sidewinders! I am hoping to build a makeshift one soon as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found a chrome fork with canti studs and cobbled together a headset.

IMG_0437_zpswzjp80te.jpg

I always liked these lamp brackets that came on British bikes. This one might stay...

IMG_0439_zps5spfnvjb.jpg

Bought these wheels last summer. The wide Araya RM-25 double wall rims should go nicely with the build.

IMG_0432_zpshsjizsbc.jpg

This wheel came off of a mid-70's ladies' model JC Penney lightweight. Maybe this thing needs a disc brake. We'll see how it fits later on...

IMG_0431_zpsvdtvmau1.jpg

Trying to figure out if the title is at all a Star Trek reference...

Could be, Picard said it quite a bit...

But then, a lot of people do drink Earl Grey tea... so this bike is going to please a lot of people :)

Glen.

Could be, Picard said it quite a bit...

But then, a lot of people do drink Earl Grey tea... so this bike is going to please a lot of people :)

Glen.

You ought to add something with a gold/yellow color to the build on this one...:thumbsup:

You ought to add something with a gold/yellow color to the build on this one...:thumbsup:

Hmmm... I might be able to do that. I have some gold pedals around here somewhere.

I also have my gold hipster fixie crank left over from my RRBBO # 8 bike but that might be too much gold...

IMG_1215_zps4908aa21.jpg

Hmmm... I might be able to do that. I have some gold pedals around here somewhere.

I also have my gold hipster fixie crank left over from my RRBBO # 8 bike but that might be too much gold...

IMG_1215_zps4908aa21.jpg

Yeah, you just need a l'il touch of bergamot for this one. Seatpost clamp? Headset spacer or topnut? Chain?

No problem spoking the disc hub to the Arayas... Everything was in good shape too.

IMG_0435_zpsmny1dali.jpg

I have these big gnarly 2.35" folding downhill tires. They're heavy and I don't think I have the clearance on the rear stays but we'll mount one up and see...

IMG_0436_zpsgiuei3s4.jpg

I have some fat tubes for them too. I have no idea where they came from...

IMG_0434_zpsvd3ewjoo.jpg

I'm going to try a set of Campy cranks for this build. Campy stuff is light and elegant. The bike will be neither of those things...;)

IMG_0480_zpsdj7akj7f.jpg

Latest posts

Back