Earl Grey

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the downhill tires ended up being just a hair too big for the frame. The rear cleared but there was no room for error so I went with plan B...

IMG_0492_zps9hx49l5a.jpg

These were one of my favorite tires back in the early 90's and I had this set on a single speed King Sting. A correct pair for the bike came along and the MegaBites have been hanging from the rafters ever since. These big munchy tires are a little smaller (2.1") but should still give the bike an aggressive look.

Added a stem from a 1983 Predator. I had an obsession with them a while back when they were still cheap. I bought every beater I could find and parted them out. I built a couple nice ones out of all the parts I had.
I used a similar stem on my BONINE bike.

IMG_0484_zpsjaslpfrx.jpg

I put the wheels on and drug it outside to get an idea what it was going to look like.

IMG_0478_zps4tpyknxs.jpg

Starting to look like a bike...

While it was out, I stuck these S&M cruiser bars on. They were leftover from my BONINE build. They didn't look right on that bike but I think they'll be fine on this one..

IMG_0485_zpswpkvhexz.jpg

Let's throw a few more parts at this thing...

Shifting will be handled by this very early 6-speed XT thumbie.

IMG_0486_zpsf9xjrs0h.jpg

Coupled with this early XT derailleur, SunRace claw adapter, and twisty-tooth freewheel...

IMG_0481_zpsev9rmvhp.jpg

How about some big brake levers to give it that classic bomber look and feel?

IMG_0487_zpscquin12k.jpg

While we're on a roll, let's toss the crank, gold pedals, shift cable, and a Z-Chain on...

IMG_0493_zpsaszngr21.jpg

The disc caliper assembly tucks nicely into the frame..

IMG_0488_zpszxqblvti.jpg

Now for a preview of tomorrow's show...

I need at least one vintage part for this bike just to keep from getting kicked off of these forums...

How about an early 50's B-66? Yes please!

IMG_0490_zps5o86yoat.jpg

I had a senior moment at a swap meet last fall and bought this bag of NOS Onza HO brake calipers. I was thinking of using them for the front. They look neat and have all kinds of adjustibility but I recall they had some issues. They may or may not make it...

IMG_0489_zpsusf9duna.jpg

So... As feared, the Onza brakes didn't want to cooperate... :blackeye: I couldn't get the pinch bolts tight enough to hold the pads in place so rather than risk messing them up, I put them back in the bag. I had this orphan set of Exage cantilever arms and went the easy route. Added a set of Kool Stop salmon pads for a little extra stopping power.

IMG_0491_zpsybsffhle.jpg

So... As feared, the Onza brakes didn't want to cooperate... :blackeye: I couldn't get the pinch bolts tight enough to hold the pads in place so rather than risk messing them up, I put them back in the bag. I had this orphan set of Exage cantilever arms and went the easy route. Added a set of Kool Stop salmon pads for a little extra stopping power.

IMG_0491_zpsybsffhle.jpg
Liking this build....I want to do a "vintage mtb build" at some point as well...maybe this winter! Like your choices, Kool Stop salmon was a fav of mine racing back in the day. Ran the Ritchey Red Z-Max, super grippy! Looking forward to your additions down the way....

Liking this build....I want to do a "vintage mtb build" at some point as well...maybe this winter! Like your choices, Kool Stop salmon was a fav of mine racing back in the day. Ran the Ritchey Red Z-Max, super grippy! Looking forward to your additions down the way....
There is a mtb build off starting in January!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a mtb build off starting in January!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really?! Thanks Kevin. I wish I had one of my "pre-1996" (definition of vintage mtb) race bikes still...but I'm always looking for a frame to build up. A couple of these bikes on here are making me antsy! :bigboss:

Really?! Thanks Kevin. I wish I had one of my "pre-1996" (definition of vintage mtb) race bikes still...but I'm always looking for a frame to build up. A couple of these bikes on here are making me antsy! :bigboss:
It is actually a MTB/BMX/Klunker build-off, so pretty much open for anything designed to go off-road... :thumbsup:

Luke.

So, after several other projects getting in the way and sucking up all my time, I managed to make this thing into something that resembles a bike... :grin:

IMG_0501_zpsvpaxjyw6.jpg

They layout is about perfect and the bike really rides nice. Probably doesn't need anything else but there are still a few tweaks I want to try...

More photos coming...

So, after several other projects getting in the way and sucking up all my time, I managed to make this thing into something that resembles a bike... :grin:

IMG_0501_zpsvpaxjyw6.jpg

They layout is about perfect and the bike really rides nice. Probably doesn't need anything else but there are still a few tweaks I want to try...

More photos coming...
Looks cool!

Luke.

Like it! Old school mtb vibe...love the skinwalls! Which tires are those? Panaracer...?....smokes...?

Latest posts

Back