Early 60’s Esthetic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else into the early 60’s esthetic, or even better lived through it? Been really into movies like American Graffiti that depict the time and Splendor in the Grass that was from that time but about the 20’s. I live for that stuff. More interesting than modern movies at times.

A139D853-2AD4-4A8D-98CF-E3B9FE3C2AE8.jpeg

318EF0AB-637F-4683-9530-7C1DE2A45A1D.jpeg

One of my favorite films. I have owned the sound track in four types of media starting with the LP and ending with the CD. Some straight axle, fender well headers drag cars and the rise of the ohv Chevy V8 are part of this time. It spelled the end of the flathead (for a time). Lucas wove that and the advent of the Beach Boys into his film. The assassinations and the Vietnam War sped up the end of this relatively innocent era.

American Graffiti may represent the graduation class of '62...but, it is the movie that best represents my High School experience, though I graduated in '87.

Dazed and Confused also reminds me a lot of my HS years...
View attachment 149734
That is another good one ,loved the shortbox. Hollywood Knights was a great car culture film of the time also.
81bgh-T3yTL._RI_.jpg

American Graffiti was a great movie. I do like Mid Century design, but really more where it's kind of an evolution of Streamline Moderne. The '50-'60s is my favorite era for car design and mostly for small speedboats as well. I also like that era of cheesy horror movies.

If this is about car movies, other than the Mad Max series, offhand I can't think of any I really like that were made since the early '70s (though I haven't seen Ford vs Ferrari yet), but I like the old nihilistic ones: The Italian Job, Vanishing Point, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Gone in 60 Seconds, and—my favorite—Two Lane Blacktop. As a kid, I liked the goofy ones (the Cannonball Run Lamborghini is what turned me back on to cars and car design specifically after my father turned me off of them because that car was awesome and he had no idea what it was), but my taste changed. Never cared for the F&F series, but I only saw two of them . . . or maybe it was three? I don't know, but I guess that shows the impression they made on me.

If this is about car movies, other than the Mad Max series, offhand I can't think of any I really like that were made since the early '70s (though I haven't seen Ford vs Ferrari yet), but I like the old nihilistic ones: The Italian Job, Vanishing Point, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Gone in 60 Seconds, and—my favorite—Two Lane Blacktop. As a kid, I liked the goofy ones (the Cannonball Run Lamborghini is what turned me back on to cars and car design specifically after my father turned me off of them because that car was awesome and he had no idea what it was), but my taste changed. Never cared for the F&F series, but I only saw two of them . . . or maybe it was three? I don't know, but I guess that shows the impression they made on me.
I guess it is about the "60's" ,to me a simpler time :thumbsup:. I liked Two Lane Blacktop also and thought it was cool how American Graffitti used that '55 in the movie along with others. Now it is common place to see 100, 200 even 500 thousand dollar cars being built on TV shows.....I just don't get that? More about the money than the hobby really.

Vanishing Point, Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry. Gone in 60 seconds (the original). All from the 70’s.
2388605C-402E-457C-B867-83C384E4023E.jpeg
874923B2-4101-45C8-85B6-375A69A3465A.jpeg
E5D8CD4D-D415-4BB8-8719-DC023A26CBF9.jpeg

Latest posts

Back