Early '80s KHS Montana Sport

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Several years ago, I found this KHS next to a dumpster. At the time, it didn't interest me much as at the time road bikes were my main focus. I kept it around as a loaner and basic beater. Then, a few years back when I moved, I gave it to a friend in need of a bike. Fast forward till about a month or so back, I was at that friends house and saw it just dying in the yard. I had since been cultivating an interest in vintage mountain bikes. This was to scratch the itch. I asked him about the bike and he said he didn't much care for it. So I made him a deal. I'd build him something more to his liking in exchange for the ol KHS back. He was happy, and so was I. I didn't do much major to it besides an over haul of all bearing, new cables and housing, swapped for a better bb, crank, bar, and shifter set up then it previously sported. The wheels were what got me asking him back for it. Suzue hubs laced to some Araya knock offs. At some point down the line, those will prob get swooped for a klunker project. But for now this is how it sits--

image1 (4).JPG

image2 (2).JPG

image3 (1).JPG

And for what its worth, here's the bike i built him in exchange --

image1 (5).JPG

Very cool KHS....i recently scored one for free. It's kinda like a mountain bike Beach cruiser with 5 speed. It was rough and been sitting outside. Luckily most of the gold anodized parts were covered in mud which preserved most of them. I changed the cruiser bars for Al's bars and changed the seat. I also added black MKS peddles. All I need is chain and brake shoes.
20181110_081532.jpg
20181110_081539.jpg
20181123_144107_HDR.jpg
20181123_144055.jpg
I'll include a before and after pic.

Very cool KHS....i recently scored one for free. It's kinda like a mountain bike Beach cruiser with 5 speed. It was rough and been sitting outside. Luckily most of the gold anodized parts were covered in mud which preserved most of them. I changed the cruiser bars for Al's bars and changed the seat. I also added black MKS peddles. All I need is chain and brake shoes. View attachment 88489 View attachment 88490 View attachment 88491 View attachment 88492 I'll include a before and after pic.
Those KHS are prett cool. Very similar to the Cyclepro custom 5.

Latest posts

Back