EARTH MOVER, Changed to " BLACK ANGUS"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walmart has them beat, buy online with free shipping in the mainland, 18 bucks each.

We finally got moved in to the new condo. There's nowhere to store or work on a bike, and painting something out back would probably get the EPA called out. So, I need to store and work on my 3 other bikes somewhere else (one lucky bike gets to stay inside the condo).
DSCI0033.JPG

So far, no luck, but the auto skills center has small rusty sheds they rent for storage, 25 bucks a month. They are the the 6 x 8 ft type. I'm hoping I can use some workspace to work on them also, but it may be for auto only.
The regular storage places want 100 bucks a month for a 5' x 5' space, can barely fit a bike in those!

I came up with an idea for a bell. It will be activated by a cable from a brake lever on the handlebars. There will be a mallet like thing bolted to one or two of the front spokes. The bell will be something round I find that will ring. It will be attached to the front forks with a spring. Pulling the brake lever will pull the thing into the path of the mallet and noise will happen. It being mounted to a spring will keep it from having too much contact and damaging anything. Here's a crude drawing.

DSCI0035.JPG

I finally met someone that can sketch as bad as I do!...The good thing, though, I see your plan perfectly.

I came up with an idea for a bell. It will be activated by a cable from a brake lever on the handlebars. There will be a mallet like thing bolted to one or two of the front spokes. The bell will be something round I find that will ring. It will be attached to the front forks with a spring. Pulling the brake lever will pull the thing into the path of the mallet and noise will happen. It being mounted to a spring will keep it from having too much contact and damaging anything. Here's a crude drawing.

View attachment 51434
Cool plan!

Well, no work getting done, nowhere to work on bikes, and nowhere to store them. There's the challenge! The 25 dollar sheds were for sale, nor rent. The rusty sheds for rent are $40 a month, too much for me. I stashed my big tires and wheels in a bike box under the bed in our little apartment, but wife is wondering where that rubber smell is coming from. I'll have to sneak them out to the trunk of the car. All my parts and a frame can go in the box under the bed and get taped shut. How to paint without the environmental police called out is the biggest issue. The paint booth at the auto skills center is 20 bucks an hour, again too much for me.

oahu - Copy.JPG

I like the bell idea.
It's fun reading your challenges of sneaking around and finding storage or work space.
Good luck brother!

Thanks, but so far, not much luck. I may do my build off bike from the trunk of my car! Where to paint it is the big question. Environmental issues are paramount here, so paint fumes even at the edge of the Walmart parking lot will get the EPA involved.
upload_2017-6-8_11-7-3.jpeg

Maybe the arts and crafts shop will let me paint next to the pottery and doilies, they have a huge building but I'm not holding out much hope.
I did get 3 bikes approved for storage in the bedroom. It's a complicated procedure getting my Dyno out for a ride.
DSCI0078.JPG

My build off parts are in the car, except for the big wheels w tires, they are under the bed. Anyone ever done a build with no workspace?

built a couple mountain bikes in my dorm room, kept everything under the bed on a sheet of 1/4" ply screwed to a couple 1x4's like a gurney, and then would lay it on the bed as my bench. (no painting tho..)

I've been thinking about it for a week or so, and I'm going to utilize rule number 2, and change the frame out. Name change and everything.
I needed something unique. This may be the only one of these in the build off. A massive scooter that even he-men can ride without embarrassment. The frame will use scrap metal and be as beefy as possible. The forks have the same angle as a bike would.
The platform needs to be as close to the ground as feasible. I plan on a longer wheelbase for more stability. Cantilever brake on the front wheel. The rear has a coaster brake hub that may be used if I can figure out how.
I still plan on the bell I planned on the first bike.
241_10.jpg

I will use the rusty 96 cruiser six I picked up recently and do some serious cutting, welding? or maybe big bolts to hold it together.
tires.JPG

I will use the same big tires and 68 spoke wheels.

DSCI0009 - Copy.JPG

I've been thinking about it for a week or so, and I'm going to utilize rule number 2, and change the frame out. Name change and everything.
I needed something unique. This may be the only one of these in the build off. A massive scooter that even he-men can ride without embarrassment. The frame will use scrap metal and be as beefy as possible. The forks have the same angle as a bike would.
The platform needs to be as close to the ground as feasible. I plan on a longer wheelbase for more stability. Cantilever brake on the front wheel. The rear has a coaster brake hub that may be used if I can figure out how.
I still plan on the bell I planned on the first bike.
View attachment 53727

I will use the rusty 96 cruiser six I picked up recently and do some serious cutting, welding? or maybe big bolts to hold it together.
View attachment 53728

I will use the same big tires and 68 spoke wheels.

View attachment 53729

UHHH!
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/trot-rot.103176/

Welcome to the "darkside".

The diagram you have posted is a Kostka Mushing Max, made in the Czech Republic (very high quality). That design is great for dog mushing, higher ground clearance for rough terrain.. If you plan to kick around the neighborhood, paved bike paths, or wherever, try to keep the foot board at a 3.5" maximum....Anything higher can start to cause knee pain quickly....The higher the foot board, the more you have to bend the knee on it, so your other foot can reach the pavement....Good Luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

OH! A longer wheel base will not make it more stable, just the opposite.

Last edited:
I thought I read through all the builds! Maybe I did and forgot. :39:
Mine won't be a thing of beauty like yours, it'll be rough around the edges with nuts and bolts and be industrial looking.
I'll try to keep the foot board at 3" or less and parallel to the ground, with adjustment built in for fine tuning. I saw a small vintage skateboard at the thrift store this morning that would work perfect for this, but they want 15 bucks!
I'll keep the wheelbase shorter, but with these tires, it'll be long to start with. A 20" fat tire in the rear might work, but I'm going for as big a scooter as I can.
I plan to mock it up, then have it welded up, but it could be entirely nuts and bolts.
I'll do a drawing but my drafting skills are like my welding skills.
Now to find a metal scrap pile.

Mine won't be a thing of beauty. I plan on trying to keep as much of the original patina as possible. I really am looking forward to seeing what you come up with...If you're going for aesthetics, and not something that will get used to often, put your foot board the height that will work for you....After all there's a lot of bikes built here that will kill your knees (I know, I've built some). Or just call it a dog mushing scooter. It's all good either way.

You'll get more attention with that at the beach, than Sasquatch wearing a Speedo!

Last edited:
It's too cool that we now have two adult scooters in the build off! And from two long time RRBers to boot!
Barry, keep an eye out for water skis or boogie boards for potential platform material as well.

It's too cool that we now have two adult scooters in the build off! And from two long time RRBers to boot!
Barry, keep an eye out for water skis or boogie boards for potential platform material as well.
Or really flat and wide ukuleles !

Latest posts

Back