EARTH MOVER, Changed to " BLACK ANGUS"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to find a huge piece of diamondplate.
quickshipmetals_black-diamondplate1.jpg
Would the license plate guy have anything like that? Wouldn't hurt to ask.

I dig the change to the scooter. Maybe if my hubless design works, I'll redo it for an Ingo style scoot.

You found the Kickbike Fat Max...A beast. They sell for around $750

Be careful! You might get hooked. Kickbikes, Footbikes are very popular in Europe. They have numerous events were thousands show up. You'll find out that there are just as many variations as there are bicycle variations, small to big, off road to road racing, off road downhill to extreme down hill, or just everyday use. There are dozens of manufacturers out there. Although it isn't popular in America, in some places it's considered a primary means of transportation, especially in eastern Europe

Below are a few links to what these can be.

Imagine on a 13" wheel scooter

Tourists in Berlin

I got the idea for a big scooter while riding my Dyno to the school I may be going to in August. It's a bike path winding through the neighborhood all downhill, I had to hit my brakes a few times, but never had to do any pedaling the whole mile and a half. It follows a stream and there's no traffic. Perfect for a scooter.

I got the idea for a big scooter while riding my Dyno to the school I may be going to in August. It's a bike path winding through the neighborhood all downhill, I had to hit my brakes a few times, but never had to do any pedaling the whole mile and a half. It follows a stream and there's no traffic. Perfect for a scooter.
Downhill is great, but it's uphill on the way back.

Downhill is great, but it's uphill on the way back.

It's a workout walking uphill a mile and a half going home, giving me ideas of an electric assist. However, I need the workout.

c8d7f0ee-1b93-4ee2-92ad-7af693ee2997_1.58416e69b49dbc79d6828274fc8e69cc.jpeg

So, here's the plan.

1. Use everything from the bike frame to make the scooter frame. I won't add any other metal unless absolutely necessary to keep the weight reasonable. Weld it? or have it welded up.
2. Find something to use as the foot board, wood or metal. Diamond plate if I can get some.
3. Use thin sheet metal to cover the frame for a better look, will probably be necessary.
4. Paint it gloss black, frame, handlebars and all, with red and white pin striping.

There are techniques for kicking uphill. You use very short, quick kicks, I've used this method. But hey, pedaling or kicking uphill sucks!..I've walked both bike and scooter uphill, my wife has also. So I "try" to blame her, saying I'm just doing it to keep her company. She doesn't buy it when it comes out like this: "I'll walk..(TEN HEAVY BREATHS)...with you...(MORE HEAVY BREATHING)."

I checked the clearance for the 3" tires, no problem.

DSCI0126.JPG
DSCI0128.JPG

I laid it out to see how and what to cut. With the big rear wheel. it'll take a lot more wheelbase, so I'm thinking of using a fat 20" rear tire to keep it lighter and easier to ride. Then i may not have to add to the frame.
Then I could use the big wheel for another one if this works out!

DSCI0129.JPG

The scooter will be very long even with a smaller wheel, so I'll stick with the 2 big wheels. My estimates show a 51 inch wheelbase and a 80 inch total length. I'm going to price some aluminum angle iron and square stock. Probably way too much for the amount this will need, about 6 feet of square stock and more than 8 feet of 1 1/2 angle. It'll be steel if the aluminum is too much.

The diagram on page 2 shows that scoot to have a 47" wheelbase, and the Fat Max has a little over 48". So 51" with two large wheels should be just about right.

Now just need a place to build it. Prospects aren't looking too good right now.

Do your best. Other than the welding, I can show pics of a number of my builds being put together in the kitchen, the living room, the back deck, the patio. Although not by necessity, by choice...I usually like to build where there's a TV.....And I do have a very understanding wife. I hope you find a way to get it done...Good Luck!

I do the same thing.
I build in the evening, watching TV
and when the shows are over...
It's back to the garage.

Carl.

I'm still holding out hope that I'll find a place to do some work.

I saw this while doing some research, a scooter type thing that steers by the rear wheels. They are always coming up with new ideas.
I think a big set of skateboard wheels might do the same thing for steering.

That gives me more crazy ideas, and with no place to actually get any work done, I keep coming up with more "stuff".
Like the skateboard bike things that are rear steer, here's my latest foolish idea:
1. Use the 26 x 3 tire and front of the Schwinn Cruiser six, brakes included.
2. Find a longboard or make one that size, about 3+ feet long by a foot wide.
3. Use a wide set of trucks, 10" wide with the dual truck adapters and get big skateboard wheels.
tks2102_blu_1_3.png
s-l1600 (1).jpg

4. Make a bracket that attaches to the forks (so there's no front steering) and the front mount of the longboard. Similar to the one shown in the pic. This is the biggest challenge.
809414p.jpg

5. Depending on handling, mount the rear wheels more forward or to the rear, have them adjustable.

Latest posts

Back