"Ebola" stretch Chopper (Weathering)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I haven't been around bikes or riding for 4 years. I've been too busy learning photography. Took the old girl for a ride today and got seduced by the smooth ride. I build bikes for riding comfort first and looks second. I slapped this together with 2 frames 4 years ago and put on about 150 miles on it. I had 2 lunches boxes as side bags and destroyed one in a crash. It has a tank plate made from the back of a vintage fridge and a foot operated rear brake. I'm looking at keeping these features and adding some accessories including fabricating side bags from sheet metal. I want the end result to look so dirty and grimy that you'll want a tetanus shot to ride it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gerry :)

6071199953_0023704220_o_1.jpg

Welcome back Gerry, I wondered awhile back where you were hiding.
I recall your CCM loop frame resto, trailer builds and info from your old site a few years ago when I got started in the hobby.
How about throwing a couple layers of crusty color here and there that you may have on hand, distressing it with abrasive materials or a propane torch, taking some or most of the paint down to bare metal and if you dare, rusting it up with a quick cheap and easy acting home brewed peroxide/salt/vinegar spray on solution?
Then top your new down and dirty patina with a good coat of rubbed in boiled linseed oil.
A lot of these great techniques have been shared on RRB during your time away.

looks good,I would put a set of racked out chopper forks on,I want to do bagger style bags on one of my builds,that might give you idea to do bagger bags?,sand that frame down and give it some patina love

This is going to be a 2 step project. I'll be building the bike for it to be rideable hopefully this Fall. Come Spring I'll be adding an electric assist drive I have lying around. I'm looking into going with a red primer finish that will be "roughed up". Whatever I get done by the end of the Fall will be left to spend the entire cold Canadian Winter outdoors. I think the calcium induced Montreal City snow will provide me with a beautiful finish. :)

Cool bike! Did you ever do a "build thread" on it?
Are the 2 donor bikes strictly bolted together with no welding?

I don't remember if I did a build thread but you will definitely have a tear down and rebuild to look at. The frames are bolted together and no it is not perfectly straight. Nobody is anyways. :)

Thanks Steve and kingfish. Yes I am alive and well. Funny how the new name actually popped some new ideas in my head. You guys won't be disappointed. I'm busy this week but can't wait for the week end to tear it all down. I already gathered some parts.

So I took most of the bike apart this evening and got to see how it held up. Turns out thanks to the old build post being dug up I was able to figure out the real mileage of this thing, 300 miles. I say it's a good reliability test.

Apart from a few non-critical loose bolts, it held together very well. I was even reminded of a screw up during the build that I had covered with tape followed by a crossing of my fingers. The hacksaw went to the wrong spot and I hoped it would hold anyways. It did. :)

So the next step over the week end is to prep the frame and if weather holds up, paint. I have a few different coats to lay down for what I plan to do so it should be interesting.

In the meantime I brought a few small projects in the house like the speedometer which will be redone. Now it will be a proper tie in with the theme of the bike.

I wouldn't thought that canti boltup would have held up like that, but that is great news!!!!
I'll keep that splice idea tucked away in case I need it.
Build on brother!!

very interesting Non welded mod ! if you want to make it even stronger , you could wedge a 1" tube between the stays ,and bot it all togetter .. like an extention of the top tube :39:

cant wait to see how it end up:rockout:

Seeing as previous bike name was "car bait 2" I cant help but wonder what happened to the original car bait. :21:

I think your speedo should be in mph, that would make the X 1.6 for km work, I like the bolt together idea, do the stays bolted to the old cranks have any play or did you put spacers in?

Latest posts

Back