Eddie´s Board Rat Racer (Done!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I´m in.
I recentlly finished a Bike for Mom, so Dad got jealous.
This one is for him, my Dad Edward, inspired by some of the pics posted on the "Vintage Bicycle Ads" thread.
Sorry about the quality of most pictures, won´t happen again... :oops:

Inspiration/Goal:

Donor bike (will use this parts bike on another project as well)

Here is the frame I´m using, being chopped by good friend Leo as I´m taking the pic with one hand
and holding my glass on the other...

Yes, winter is still around down here, and No, blurness is not caused by beer :roll: ...bad camera setting :oops: (may be both :mrgreen: )

Home improvised tube bender, ugly as my aunt Greta after shaving, but handy...

Got to love those floor Jacks :? set up looks like a crossbow, probably more dangerous :arrow:

Paint removed, frame cleaned

Bended tube, ready to be welded to the frame...

Gotta beautiful set of 28 white wheels, new coaster break, self centring front hub, and perfectly chromed handle bars, seat is already at the upholsterer...

This will be a build of firsts. No first class, just first time we chopp a bike, first time I bend a tube, first attempt to weld with brand new welder...
I´m confident enough to say it will turn out nice... please keep your fingers crossed, I´m gonna need it, specially when welding. :roll: :wink:

Stay tuned, new pics cooming soon
(If not is cuz I´m at the hospital, trying to remove a welded bike from my body :lol: )

Re: Eddie´s Board Rat Racer

Thanx for the nice comments guys!
Weather is terrible this days, pretty big storms hitting us right now and living one block away from the River Plate gets very windy and cold, so I´m kind of stuck. :cry:

But I smell the sun around, so I´ll be welding soon. Bike won´t be exactly as the model above, I´ll be given´ it an early Indian Board Track Racer twist...
Tried to pic the vintagest frame I had around, and I´ll be using a more period correct fork, but I have to say I´m

Now, off to do the good weather dance. 8)

Finally the sun is out an shining!! 8)
Good news! I welded for the first time in my life, and I survived! :roll:

I´m an overconfident guy, so I thought I would get it right the first time, so you guys know what happen...

After that, and as that tube is ruined, I decided to practice on it a little bit...

This is my biggest concern, as this part is just for show, and not structural, I need it to be welded to the frame but without worries about it collapsing.
As you notice, the heat at the tip melts it down, what should I do to prevent this when welding it to the actual frame?

Please help :!: :!: :!:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Thanks everyone for stopping by, cheers! :D

looks like your heat is up too high

On thing that happens, when welding tubing is the edge gets alot hotter and melts quick. Try starting the bead on the other pipe and sorta flick over to the edge as you go along. Do do too much at once where it will cool in between welds....And what the heck kind of a tool did your friend have in his hand....it looked nasty....I love my porta bandsaw. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
On thing that happens, when welding tubing is the edge gets alot hotter and melts quick. Try starting the bead on the other pipe and sorta flick over to the edge as you go along. Do do too much at once where it will cool in between welds....And what the heck kind of a tool did your friend have in his hand....it looked nasty....I love my porta bandsaw. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed hack saws suck... and he has a 40 on the table, thirsty?

Thankx for the quick responses guys.

Bordtrackfan: I´m using an arc welder, unfortunately I have no one to teach me directly so I have to learn from mistakes and from you guys. Filler metal, what´s filler metal?

Sensor: This tube is as thick as the frame…

Uncle Strech: Good advise, I´ll give that a try, see what I´m able to pull.
My friend Leo has a hand ban saw, neighbors kinda complaint when we use the grinder at 01: 00 pm… :roll:

XHOBOPHOBIAx: Have you noticed that after the fifth bear it turns more and more difficult to open a bottle? We just open a couple and let the joy flow… :wink:

Thanx again guys!

Time for a little update, today has been a nice day for chopping and "welding" so...

This is probably not the best way to do it, but, have you ever seen a rattier jack, I mean tube bender?

I´ve been practising my welds, of course I still have a long, long way to go, but if I want this project going is time to push the tempo, so after the tube got bent...
(warning graphic and explicit photos that may hurt your sensibility)

Not nice, but after camouflage it will look OK. It´s firm thou...

Chopped and welded the back fender, inspired by vintage Indian.
Camera went nuts on me so, I´m sorry :cry:

Stay tuned!

Unfortunately ARC welders don't handle thin metals all to well, great for thicker stuff though.
If you come across a small mig 120-180amp in your price range grab it I paid 175 bucks for mine. Gasl mig is superior but you can get away with gasless (tiz what i use)
I'm afraid to say your doing it hard using an arc even an experienced welder wwill find it trying with ARC and bicycle tube IMHO
I wouldn't even attempt it myself and i been welding for 20 years ...

Best of luck

KiM

Thanks for the feedback guys,
I guess I´ll have to do as good as I can with what I have lying around for now. The cheapest mig welder around here in Montevideo is 600 bucks, so be prepared to see more ugly welds! :wink: :lol:

Gdcast said:
Thanks for the feedback guys,
I guess I´ll have to do as good as I can with what I have lying around for now. The cheapest mig welder around here in Montevideo is 600 bucks, so be prepared to see more ugly welds! :wink: :lol:

Bummer...i just noticed your not in the USA i tookd for granted you were my apologies. It's certainly doable with an ARC it just a steeper learning, you have a grinder that will clean them 'ugly welds' up just watch how much you take off :)

I forgot to add regarding your bender, i have seen this DIY one i thought might interest to you? maybe something you could look into knocking up ? could be an "upgade" on your current "unit" when you get some extra time :)

011_sm.jpg

012_sm.jpg

Made by the Larry Lem's

best of luck

KiM

Zero Stress Kim :wink:

I spent half a day yesterday trying to find the right parts to build a more sophisticated tube bender, could n´t find the prices I was prepared to pay, so this post of you is just what I need! I´ll attack on that bender ASAP!!

After visiting the flea market, I cleaned the ugly welds with the grinder just as you say, I have pics to show the result, I´ll post em just as I get back from work.

Next step, bondo.

Thankx again for the link Kim, much appreciated! :D

Latest posts

Back