Electra RS Klunker build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the gesture Frankie, thanks! Really, but I am thinking to place a "Sturmey Archer X-RDC" hub and a XL-FD to the front. These are nearly indestructable and have a vintage look (albeit a bit polished).
Where in the Netherlands are you from if I may ask?

Update and more thoughts:

My rims came in!
26 inch Rigida Ryde V38 Classic look aluminum rims. They are not as tough as double walled mountainbike rims, but I do not care. I am not going to be gravity riding with this bike.
Picture:
fcL9rdi.jpeg

The moped front hub is a bit on the heavy and large side. Even though I love the looks, I probably will not use it for this build. I am not a weight weenie, but I think this is too much: :grin:
Yz7uvUd.jpeg

Old Sturmey Archer bicycle hub.

unPbSzQ.jpeg

Moped drum brake hub... 2 kilograms...

E7PofzX.jpeg

Placed within the 26 inch rim to check the size.

RAM1xeZ.jpeg

Layout.
UNnxCZk.jpeg

Right now I ordered a 26 inch mountainbike fork with cantilever brakes and a 1 inch headtube. I ordered a fork with brakes on purpose, so that I know this fork can handle some serious braking.
Eventually I will weld a notch for drum brakes on the fork.

I have seen forks that did not have mounts (designed for) brakes that were bent after mounting a drum brake of disc brake.
Love the detailed thought and your approach to the mixing of parts. Can't wait to see it built!

]

I appreciate the gesture Frankie, thanks! Really, but I am thinking to place a "Sturmey Archer X-RDC" hub and a XL-FD to the front. These are nearly indestructable and have a vintage look (albeit a bit polished).
Where in the Netherlands are you from if I may ask?

No worries man, i'll keep it in the parts pile. [emoji6]

Oh those are nice hubs man! I understand the look you are going for.[emoji2]
So you are going for the cassette i understand, not for the freewheel type? Are you gonna run 8 or 9 speed?

I also have a set Sachs drum brake hubs, but it's the freewheel type. I wanted to use them on my next build off entry. But i changed it to Nexus 3 and a simple front hub so i could keep the handlebars clean from brake levers and shifter since i found an automatic shifting unit for Nexus 3
Pretty cool stuff may i say so myself haha

Nice rims too, always liked these profiles on rims[emoji7]

I'm from Deurne, that's in the South near Eindhoven, Helmond.
Where are you from?
29267da497a26505f1b8588f9f37647f.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn motorola one met Tapatalk

]

No worries man, i'll keep it in the parts pile. [emoji6]

Oh those are nice hubs man! I understand the look you are going for.[emoji2]
So you are going for the cassette i understand, not for the freewheel type? Are you gonna run 8 or 9 speed?

I also have a set Sachs drum brake hubs, but it's the freewheel type. I wanted to use them on my next build off entry. But i changed it to Nexus 3 and a simple front hub so i could keep the handlebars clean from brake levers and shifter since i found an automatic shifting unit for Nexus 3
Pretty cool stuff may i say so myself haha

Nice rims too, always liked these profiles on rims[emoji7]

I'm from Deurne, that's in the South near Eindhoven, Helmond.
Where are you from?
29267da497a26505f1b8588f9f37647f.jpg

Thanks Frankie!

I am from "Haaksbergen" in Overijssel, near Enschede. A pretty boring, but ok town. We are moving to another country in the future, maybe even this year.

I realize I am all over the place with my hub ideas, sorry for that.

What am I looking for:
A front and rear hub that:
  • Are reliable. So can be used for singletrack mountainbiking: Climbing and descents.
  • Have spare parts available, without and endless search on the internet. So serviceable.
  • Fit in the frame:
    • Rear: 110 / 120mm over locknut dimension.
    • Front: Standard OLD 100mm.
  • Have a certain old look to them (drum/coaster brake).
  • Front/Rear a bit of the same look colour wise.
With above mentioned demands, I try to avoid old hubs.

Rear hub:
3 speed IGH or 3 - 8 speed cassette.
Options:
Nexus 3-speed with coasterbrake:
+ Cheap, relatively reliable, simple to repair, tough, parts available everywhere.
- Ugly grey colour (my opinion), does not feel very refined in comparison with a Sturmey Archer hub.
Sturmey Archer S-RC3:
+ Great looks that fit the front hub option, refined great feel, simple to repair, reliable.
- Netherlands and Germany no availability whatsoever?? Sturmey Archer headquarters in the Netherlands does not reply to anything...
Sturmey Archer X-RD3:
+ Great looks that fit the front hub option, refined great feel, simple to repair, reliable.
- Netherlands and Germany no availability whatsoever?? Sturmey Archer headquarters in the Netherlands does not reply to anything...
Sturmey Archer X-RDC (drum brake with cassette)
It is a 135mm over locknut dimension... I don't know if I get that to fit.....

A strong drum brake front hub:
The older ones, like the black one I now have at home (see last post pictures), are not strong enough for some hilly terrain. I used to have this hub on a bike:
Gazelle front hub
They are originally 200 euros :oops: and they brake like a spoon goes through soup. I do like the looks!

The Sturmey Archer XL-FD hub looks great and brakes really good.

Rollerbrakes are okay, but not good enough for this build ;)

Conclusion:
I am looking for a oldschool authentic look, but modern performance and maintainability. Too bad that Sturmey Archer is not that much available.... only the S1C en S2C is for sale a lot here.

edit:

A thought:
SA XL-FD front hub with a Shimano Nexus 3 (coasterbrake).
And then powercoat the hubs....
:39:
Powder coating bicycle hub

Although everything is relative, when something is broken.... just lace another hub....

Last edited:
"they brake like a spoon goes through soup":41:
It is a great expression, but a little bit unclear; does that mean they stop well, or poorly?
I know what you mean, it is a common expression here.

It does what it is made for (in this case braking) but not very well. A spoon goes easy through the soup (depending on the soup) Maybe they have a 'heavy' soup in Canada for the cold winters ;)

Thanks Frankie!

I am from "Haaksbergen" in Overijssel, near Enschede. A pretty boring, but ok town. We are moving to another country in the future, maybe even this year.

What am I looking for:
  • Are reliable. So can be used for singletrack mountainbiking: Climbing and descents.
  • Have spare parts available, without and endless search on the internet. So serviceable.
  • Fit in the frame:

Rear hub:
Options:
+ Cheap, relatively reliable, simple to repair, tough, parts available everywhere.
- Ugly grey colour (my opinion), does not feel very refined in comparison with a Sturmey Archer hub.
Sturmey Archer S-RC3:
Sturmey Archer X-RD3:

The older ones, like the black one I now have at home (see last post pictures), are not strong enough for some hilly terrain. I used to have this hub on a bike:
Gazelle front hub
They are originally 200 euros :oops: and they brake like a spoon goes through soup. I do like the looks!

Conclusion:
I am looking for a oldschool authentic look, but modern performance and maintainability. Too bad that Sturmey Archer is not that much available.... only the S1C en S2C is for sale a lot here.

edit:

A thought:

Although everything is relative, when something is broken.... just lace another hub....

Thanks Frankie!

What am I looking for:
  • Fit in the frame:

Rear hub:
Options:
Sturmey Archer S-RC3:
Sturmey Archer X-RD3:

Gazelle front hub

Conclusion:

edit:

A thought:

Ok cool i know where that is!

Well it al depends on what you want most i guess.

Here is how i see it.

Drum brakes won't give you the stopping power in the hills that you ask for, although they look cool, i understand. The hubs you describe al have 70mm drums, stopping power isn't great. Maybe the 90mm drums are better, but you'll have to find the second hand. I saw you prefer New hubs so i guess that's no option.

This one is in stock[emoji6]

https://hollandbikeshop.com/fietswi...-archer-achternaaf-summit-3v-trommelrem-xrd3/
This one too

https://www.internet-bikes.com/266626-sturmey-archer-achternaaf-terugtraprem-36-gaats-zilver/
There are enough hubs in stock i wouldn't worry bout that.

3 speed hubs won't give you the gear ratio you need, 1st gear is gonna be too light and 3rd gear will be too heavy.

All cassette hubs are wider then 3 speed hubs but that's not a big deal. You can widen your frame relativily easy. It's a steel frame right?
How are you gonna solve the problem of not having a place to mount the derailleur?

Also in stock.

https://www.internet-bikes.com/122135-sturmey-archer-naaf-x-rdc-achter-36-gaats-aluminium-zilver/
Nexus 3 hubs work good but yeah they are ugly... A little bit of paint can change that though[emoji854]

As for parts it's all the same, change the internals complete. For Nexus and SA

I'm sorry i probably made it more difficult for you to choose.. [emoji28]

Final conclusion: if it was my bike, and thinking of the looks i think you want to achieve. I'd take front and rear SA drum hubs, i choose looks over functionality[emoji28]

Ok cool i know where that is!

Well it al depends on what you want most i guess.

Here is how i see it.

Drum brakes won't give you the stopping power in the hills that you ask for, although they look cool, i understand. The hubs you describe al have 70mm drums, stopping power isn't great. Maybe the 90mm drums are better, but you'll have to find the second hand. I saw you prefer New hubs so i guess that's no option.

This one is in stock[emoji6]

https://hollandbikeshop.com/fietswi...-archer-achternaaf-summit-3v-trommelrem-xrd3/
This one too

https://www.internet-bikes.com/266626-sturmey-archer-achternaaf-terugtraprem-36-gaats-zilver/
There are enough hubs in stock i wouldn't worry bout that.

3 speed hubs won't give you the gear ratio you need, 1st gear is gonna be too light and 3rd gear will be too heavy.

All cassette hubs are wider then 3 speed hubs but that's not a big deal. You can widen your frame relativily easy. It's a steel frame right?
How are you gonna solve the problem of not having a place to mount the derailleur?

Also in stock.

https://www.internet-bikes.com/122135-sturmey-archer-naaf-x-rdc-achter-36-gaats-aluminium-zilver/
Nexus 3 hubs work good but yeah they are ugly... A little bit of paint can change that though[emoji854]

As for parts it's all the same, change the internals complete. For Nexus and SA

I'm sorry i probably made it more difficult for you to choose.. [emoji28]

Final conclusion: if it was my bike, and thinking of the looks i think you want to achieve. I'd take front and rear SA drum hubs, i choose looks over functionality[emoji28]

Thanks for your help in this, I love to brainstorm about these things and find the (for me) perfect solution: Great looks and good solid technology/performance.

The Sturmey Archer S1C is the hub I use on my current Klunker bike ;) Its a great hub! It really feels refined even after 6 years (and 3000 kilometres) of singletrack mountainbiking. But I never tried it on a long descent. It does have a large Aluminum hubshell which should give it better cooling capabilities than a Shimano CB-E110.
In my opinion and use, the S1C is the best coasterbrake hub today. It just feels great.

I also had the XL-FD front hub on a retro mountainbike that I sold, I really liked the braking performance.

@Frankie plekhand , checkout Vlechtservice, they have a great price for hubs and can lace a wheel for a nice price! I never had issues with their quality.

I'm getting to a conclusion, just need to work out some stuff. Options left for me right now:
Option 1:
Front: XL-FD hub.
Rear: X-RDC and widen the frame + mount a derailleur hanger (I can fabricate that).

Option 2:
Rear: Sturmey Archer X-RD3 or XL-RD3.
There are versions with an 118mm over locknut dimension.

These hubs look great :heart:
27758384549_91eeef08f1_b.jpg

@Frankie plekhand , checkout Vlechtservice, they have a great price for hubs and can lace a wheel for a nice price! I never had issues with their quality.

I'm getting to a conclusion, just need to work out some stuff. Options left for me right now:
Option 1:
Rear: X-RDC and widen the frame + mount a derailleur hanger (I can fabricate that).

Option 2:
Rear: Sturmey Archer X-RD3 or XL-RD3.
There are versions with an 118mm over locknut dimension.

These hubs look great [emoji813]
27758384549_91eeef08f1_b.jpg

Yes i know, real good shop, we work with them a lot at my company.[emoji6]

I lace my own wheels, been a bike mechanic for 20 years.

I would definitly go for option 1, way better looks and more gears to choose from[emoji51]

Awesome that you can lace your own wheels, and being a bike mechanic! I will learn it one day!

The Fork came in! Still needs an adaptation for the drum brakes. Maybe I will leave the cantilever posts one there to support that "Klunker front truss".
I am going to order the Sturmey Archer X-RD3 hub or the S-RFC hub soon. Fixedland in Spain has one in stock.
MoZEOBE.jpg

98fZRvq.jpg

hVhs2ci.jpg

Update
I told myself that I would go slow on this project, but my enthusiasm is a bit of a slippery slope.

So I got in touch with Fixedland, they have a S.A. S-RC3 hub in stock, but then I found a S.A. X-RD3 drum brake hub in my country. I ordered it and came in the next day... pretty quick.
I have a weak spot for coasterbrakes, but I chose a drum brake instead... why?
Well I like the oldschool looks of the drumbrake, this one seems a bit more simple and servicable than the coasterbrake version of this hub and you can use this hub with vertical dropouts, if a new project arises one day.
The hub on my desk:
1ZpxlR0.jpg

F4VxQWF.jpg

And I did some measurements + mockup of the seating position with the motocross style handlebars:
UdSQeRY.jpg

WHDyVsh.jpg

Xal4qUM.jpg

Next on the list:
  • Keep my eyes peeled for a new 36-hole S.A. XL-FD front hub.
  • Think about bottom bracket height and a plate for the rear dropout (I will leave the Electra RS frame intact).
  • Search the internet from time to time for nice second hand stuff, like an old leather seat and brake handles.
  • Conjure up ideas about a paintjob: The rims are RAL 1015 (light ivory), so I am thinking to paint the headtube a similar colour. And the rear end some nice old colour. I like the 'red primer look' colour of my "Boardtracker replica" I built a while ago:
JkJ3i2f.jpg

Last edited:
Text Update
I ordered almost all bits now, and its strange to see a lot of stuff sold out.
1" headset ordered (in Chrome), One piece crank bearings ordered (in Chrome) + (I will reuse the original crankarm and drill/tap 9/16" thread in there) and the Sturmey Archer XL-FD front hub is ordered! I am actually curious what I am getting, this shop is very vaque on their parts and info.

So what did I spend on this bike so far? I sold some bikes and stuff before starting this project, so I could justify this to my wife :rofl::grin:
Used Electra RS bike: 45,-
Hubs: 150,-
Front fork: 30,-
Handlebar: 20,-
Used Leather Saddle: 20,-
Headset and Crankbearings: 22,-
Rims: 35,-
Paint cans: 22,-
Used stem: 10,-
Total: 354,- Euros.

Parts I need:
Spokes, Pedals, Maybe a "crown support" for the fork, grips, seatpost and tires.

Pictures soon!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: This or next week I am picking up another "scrap rescue" bike: A 90's mountainbike frame with an elevated chainstay. The frame looks like new on the pictures, I could not let it be thrown in the trash :cry:
(is that last sentence correct english? "be thrown in the trash"?)

Last edited:
Did somebody say "elevated stay? What kind did you rescue from being thrown in the trash?
A "Target Rocky Mountain Elevated Chainstay 22,5 inch frame".

There are more retro mtb frames for sale here now: did not see it a while ago.
A "Next instinct" frame from Gazelle.
A "Dawes Kickback" frame.
I am getting a bit greedy :eek:

OK focus:

I just got my "brown leather" seat for the Klunker bike!

Like this Rocky Mountain?
View attachment 157230
If so, you got a good one!
Sweet! That one look like a aluminum frame, due to the fat dropouts and big welds.

I picked mine up, is a CroMo steel version. A large 22.5" frame:
Z2sVvMV.jpg

S98qAdl.jpg

xEtZDzp.jpg

It is in great condition, some dents, a few scratches, but nothing bad.

The chromo means it's a better version, if you ask me. Aluminum might be lighter, but it is very stiff and harsh. The chromo will feel better, and it's more durable over time. Super cool bike, look at how short the stays are!
Thanks Matti, I am happy to have found the CrMo version.
I never knew the Target brand till I found this one. Is'nt Target a shop in the US?

Update:
I wanted to lace the wheels myself, but a limited spare time made me send the wheels and hub over to "Vlechtservice" a very good wheelbuilder in Utrecht.
The wheels will receive 13g spokes in silvergrey.
I thought about black spokes and nipples, but that does not contribute to the vintage looks I am looking for 😸

While searching for pedals; I am thinking to drill and tap the crank thread to 9/16" so that I do not have to search for pedals that have a 1/2" thread.

Tires:
Also on the hunt for some 26 inch mountainbike tires about 2.125 - 2.4 inch wide.
Looking for a aggressive knobby + balloon look and a bit performance/dampening. My 24x3.0" klunker tires (my other klunker bike) really soften the ride on a lower pressure when mountainbiking over tree stumps.

Are there "Mountainbike balloon tires" available? Like a Schwalbe Fat Frank but with knobbies?
Or other great tire suggestions?

My junk klunker bike had "Continental Trail King || 26x2.4" tires, I did like the looks but did not try offroad performance:
vPZHGSR.jpg

XYPlsUh.jpg

Stickers make a rider and bike go faster, its true!

Another quick update:
I could not wait to share this:
Fork/Truss:
My options regarding the fork are:
  1. Keep it clean and remove the cantilever post.
  2. Add a truss on the front.
Since I could not find a suitable truss like the awesome Electra build from @irideiam (page 1) in my country, I tried something else:
I have a broken "Union" 30's frame lying about, with a removable seat stay. I removed the seat stay and tried it as a truss fork.
It is a very light piece of steel, did not expect that.

Pictures below. I really dig it and I can make it to fit, what are your thoughts?

jZLihIn.jpg

Ru3dbjm.jpg

5OBPbuR.jpg

zWxXQdK.jpg

Last two pictures is the same truss idea, but the other way round.
And I can place the truss even lower. Fabrication of a bracket to fix it to the upper part of the fork is no issue.

Latest posts

Back