Electric Bike N00B Help, Front & Rear Elec Hubs?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big guy, 3850lbs at the moment. Down about 70lbs so far. building and riding bikes is a major part of my weight loss workout routine. I am not at the point where I can ride my bike to work but I will get there. I would like to build an electric bike to help me until I can do it on my own and just to have. I am just not sure one of the 1000 watt kits will do it. I was thinking of doing a 1000 watt hub in both wheels, that’s about 2.6HP I think. Are there controllers on the market that can run both hubs? What about batt life, if I use two 48v hubs do I need to 96v? That sounds excessive and dangerous to me. Can I run the hubs in series on 60v?

I would love to build something like this The Ariel Rider D-Class

Props for losing 70 lbs! I think that just one 48v, 1000w hub motor will work just fine for you. Try that before adding a second hub motor.
-If you decide to add a 2nd hub motor, use a second controller as well. The controller protects the motor and batteries from expensive damage.

Props for losing 70 lbs! I think that just one 48v, 1000w hub motor will work just fine for you. Try that before adding a second hub motor.
-If you decide to add a 2nd hub motor, use a second controller as well. The controller protects the motor and batteries from expensive damage.
Thanks! And thanks for the info, good idea. Can both controllers be connected to the same throttle control?

Hi, I put my electric bike together myself and had to read a lot on the subject, so I have gathered some info during the months that could be useful for you.
First I would like to ask have you tried riding an electric bike before? I am asking this because people tend to bash on low watts and this is uncalled for.
What I mean is I am 200 pounds, the bike weigh another 70 pounds 32Kg) and I ride with a 250W motor, which is indeed more than capable of meeting my needs.
Just to mention it a 250W midmotor has 80Nm of torque.
I pedal all the time (legally obliged around here), but I have ridden it on throttle only and it could still scoot uphill with a brisk speed of 15-20 mph (25-30 k/h).
So maybe you should try a bike with one 1000W motor first.
But I do remember on the electric forums a double hub motor build. I think I have seen it posted on youtube as well. I think he used two controllers...

Another thing - as far as a build goes - there are other motor options there, there are hubs and midmotors with 3000 (Cyclone comes to mind), 5000, 6000W... So you are not limited to this complicated two hub motors setup. You could easily opt for a more powerful single motor. It might be a fun challenge to build it, but for a commuter E-bike doesn't make sense, you should keep it as simple and reliable as possible.

You will need two throttles if using two controllers.
-it may be better to use a throttle on motor, and PAS on the other.

First I would like to ask have you tried riding an electric bike before? I am asking this because people tend to bash on low watts and this is uncalled for.

No I have not, I don't know anyone around here that has one.

Thanks for the info, I was going to look into doing a 1000W front wheel and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back