Elegant/classy BMX stems?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Strange thread, I know. Out of all the sub-forums on here I'm guessing this is the most appropriate place to ask.

There's a world of BMX stems out there so I'm helping someone can help me sort through them. I'm looking for a threaded/quill type BMX stem. My wife's main commuter is an old Schwinn Co-ed set-up very much like a Dutch cruiser bike - very elegant, lots of leather, cream tires, etc.

For a variety of reasons we're looking to switch to a BMX bars/stem combo this season. I already have some bars in mind. But most BMX stems are purposefully pretty brute looking. I know elegance/classiness is all subjective, so feel free to throw out any recommendations you have :). Thanks!

Well...I don't know about elegant, but definitely less agressive. I can imagine one stripped and polished would look pretty good... Schwinn YO!

Yo.jpg

1Yo.jpg

21Yo.jpg

...a couple SR stems, the 423/424 (came on Mongeese, among others)...

423-424 SR.jpg

...another SR...don't know the model number, more of a mountain bike stem, I think...

SR.jpg

Jason

I know you said BMX, but this one is a older mountain bike (slingshot) stem. Nice double clamp stem and round edges, funny I didn't like it at first cause I didn't think it was masculine enough for the bike. Still don't think it is, but it grew on me and I like it now.

It's an SR MTS 101 stem, 21.1 Quill

Attachments

• SR Stem 2.jpg
    SR Stem 2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 231
  • SR Stem.jpg
    SR Stem.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 222
I know you said BMX, but this one is a older mountain bike (slingshot) stem. Nice double clamp stem and round edges, funny I didn't like it at first cause I didn't think it was masculine enough for the bike. Still don't think it is, but it grew on me and I like it now.

It's an SR MTS 101 stem, 21.1 Quill

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far; I already feel like I have a few ideas.

But I really like this one ... any idea what the handlebars are? They look pretty darn similar to what I was planning to go with (Nitto B708). If I could ttact down that stem/bars combo I think that'd be it.

Dear Sir Mornview:
You didn't say why you like BMX handlebars, but there are 1" bars that have similar looks. And there is a wide range of styles available for 1" stems that aren't brutish. Examples of 1" handlebars pictured below are a Wall 19.5 X 6.5 X 1, a Sunlite 27.5 X 9 X 1, and a "pseudo BMX" type bar common on kids bikes.
Have fun, Andy
hb1.jpg
hb2.jpg
hb3.jpg

Bars I got off of eBay, 1971 Yamaha Enduro Motorcycle bars, around $25 shipped.
You can basically run any old vintage moto bars w/this stem as long it has a 7/8's clamping area.

Hey late reply as things have been crazy but thank you much.

I haven't been able to get my hands on the MTS 101 but I settled for the similar MTS 100 and then bought some repop enduro bars, chopped 2 inches off and I am ecstatic, this is a beautiful combo. Didn't realize from the pictures that the SR stems have so much reach, but the Enduro bars have enough sweep to offset it so it's a moot point.

Dear Sir Mornview:
You didn't say why you like BMX handlebars, but there are 1" bars that have similar looks. And there is a wide range of styles available for 1" stems that aren't brutish. Examples of 1" handlebars pictured below are a Wall 19.5 X 6.5 X 1, a Sunlite 27.5 X 9 X 1, and a "pseudo BMX" type bar common on kids bikes.
Have fun, Andy
View attachment 91362 View attachment 91363 View attachment 91364

Honestly, it's a combination of looks and the rise that they provide. One thing I did not realize until Chuy chimed in here is that what I *really* like is not BMX bars so much as old motocross bars. My first BMX bars were the aforementioned Nitto B708. I've put in a lot of time finding a similar set of BMX bars that aren't so spendy, only to come to the realization that apparently I've been barking up the wrong tree. Didn't realize where the B708 draws it's inspiration.

All that said, I do appreciate your reply, because as much as I want to believe my wife is going to love these bars ... she probably won't. And those Wald bars would allow her to get some more rise while maintaining a more traditional cruiser look. I knew those kind of bars existed but was having a hard time finding the right words to put into a search engine to find them.

Hey late reply as things have been crazy but thank you much.

I haven't been able to get my hands on the MTS 101 but I settled for the similar MTS 100 and then bought some repop enduro bars, chopped 2 inches off and I am ecstatic, this is a beautiful combo. Didn't realize from the pictures that the SR stems have so much reach, but the Enduro bars have enough sweep to offset it so it's a moot point.

Sweet, post up some pictures of it so we can all check it out.

Latest posts

Back