Elgin? JC Higgins? Bicycle Identification Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this sweet find and it rides quite nice, but would appreciate any help identifying what year this bike is, if it's pre-war or post war? It was listed as a 1957 JC Higgins, but I knew it must be earlier to the shape of the frame, but (being new at trying to figure out which is what), I soon started to question just what was original and what wasn't. When I was loading it into my car, I noticed the coaster brake reads "Elgin," I asked the previous owner if this was a JC Higgins and he thought he swore it was, but wasn't entirely sure. It looks like it was probably repainted at some point? He bought it at a flea market 10 years ago, replaced the rear rim since he said something messed up with the original coaster brake (hence the Elgin bracket), and one grip tore but otherwise it's as he bought it. I'm also wondering what the deal is with the fenders...are they replacements from that era? I thought the rear would've swept down lower and had a rear rack. But the truss rods look like they may be original?

After some research, I'm guessing it's a late '40s Elgin or early JC Higgins? Here are the numbers, I don't have a database or a book to translate the code:

MOS-M
MOU 502 229

Any help is greatly appreciated. Regardless, it was more than worth the drive from Maine to Burlington, Vermont! Thank you!

Mike

8efcd5db-7b8d-46b1-b7fd-35c2111df47f.jpg 890fbd8b-19fe-48b7-837b-1a8b053e7931.jpg b66f554c-795a-4b8c-9895-721c7f63cece.jpg

Attachments

• 8efcd5db-7b8d-46b1-b7fd-35c2111df47f.jpg
    8efcd5db-7b8d-46b1-b7fd-35c2111df47f.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 324
Murray built, looks to be from the 50s. Post-war, Sears stopped selling bikes as "Elgin" and changed to the "JC Higgins" nameplate. Is the hub the really cool Elgin with the fins?

"MOS-M" = Murray Ohio/Sears, 1948. It would've had a JC Higgins branded brake arm, but an Elgin arm would also fit, since they're both Musselman hubs. -Adam

Thank you guys for your help. That makes sense for it to be a 1948 JC Higgins, maybe the Elgin coaster brake was just installed later because it was "of that era"

Latest posts

Back