Elgin?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new at this bicycle stuff but now that I started I'm lovin' it. An old Elgin followed me home from a car show today. From my limited bicycle knowlege and my even more limited computer skills I'm hoping someone here can shed a little more light on what I have.
It does have an Elgin badge on the steering head so I assume it's an Elgin. The serial number is hard to read but it looks like it starts with a 'P' or maybe a 'D' or maybe a '1' and it's followed by 74134.
pics047.jpg
Here's one more try at attaching a picture.

Does the Elgin badge have a V behind the name, or does it go diagonally across the badge? They switched to the V badge around fall '36. I don't think they were selling that motobike style in 39, as they're last seen in the fall/winter 37-8 catalog. From my notes, Sears' main supplier at the time, Westfield, had N series serials in '35, and started over with A in 36. It's possible they made a few P series in between. The badge will likely place it either way. Nice find! -Adam

i like that bike! i have a snyder built bike sold from sears look very similar...if you ever have an interest in selling please contact me!!

Latest posts

Back