ElgIndian - 1927 Elgin Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had absolutely no intention of entering the build-off this time, but, as fate would have it, I happened upon a frame at the Cabin Fever Show/Swap this past weekend...

I love the boardtracker look and have already built one from a '51 Schwinn...

6a24554cadbc77c99182cd7e4bd299a9.jpg

Toyed with selling it, but I just have WAAAAYYY too much fun riding this contraption!!!

Last year, at the same show, I purchased this Spaceliner Boardtracker...

51855e5036fb3839c958fcd287ab3ce3.jpg

...mostly because I loved the look. A couple weeks ago, I realized I needed to pair down my hoard, so I re-shoed the frame with middleweight components, kept the seat/bars for my wife's Spaceliner build, and set the drop-center wheels/cream Sun balloon tires for a future build.

Heading for the show with 17 bikes, I really needed to shed all I could. The only concession I would make would be for a pre-war frame. I saw one frame early, but I missed out. Late in the day, while browsing the show, I spotted a cool bike being parted out, with the sale being for the wheels/tires. Asked the price for the frame/fork, and it was reasonable, so I jumped at the opportunity. Here's what I came home with...

b86ce880549b3325e9370f5f8ee99a09.jpg

(Please ignore the teal Huffy wheels, just looking for inspiration...)

I did sell one bike (actually traded for a part I liked), so I came home "neutral". :(

The frame is Elgin, with a pre-war Schwinn fork that works with the frame like it was meant for it! The seller thought the frame was mid-to-late '20's vintage, possibly '28. Not that the year matters much, but using this date makes it easy to couple it with my '31 Model A.

My intention is to build a boardtracker that loosely resembles an Indian motorcycle of the same era. Don't expect a true replica, just a bike that pays homage to the brand and the period. This will be a quick build, as my intentions are to assemble it as a rider in 2 weeks for Steel In Motion (vintage car/bike show/drags), then break it down for cleaning/final assembly. There may or may not be any painting/powdercoating involved...we'll just have to wait and see!

Stay tuned...there's more to come!

Last edited:
Yesterday, when I got everything unloaded from the show/swap, I just HAD to see what the wheelset/tires looked like on the frame....

ae7cbfc6f0b49089b626f160579a86cc.jpg

Looking like what I had imagined....hope the rest is just as satisfying.....

I'm also imagining this seat in a much-rearward position...

5aad067277b4a7d8967ad80b606c7148.jpg

Looks good already.

Thanks, Falstaff!

I really don't like these bars, but it's a place to start. I really want to find an old 3-piece bar, but I'll settle for a moustache bar, flipped and dropped! :happy:

Also, forgot to mention, I also picked up a pre-war Schwinn stem at the swap, nice and dull...kindofa oiled-bronze patina!

Love the plans for this one. Looking forward to the striping too.
Nice score.

Definitely some inspiration there. I can post a pic of the Indian moped I'm restoring, but that wouldn't be inspirational at all. That would be ridiculous.:headbang:

Nice to see you back Brent looks like you have a really nice start on the frame & love the bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok Elgin afficianados...need help with the serial number!!

8a4eda7ce4d81d6a989a930256318675.jpg

It looks like.....

E20455

...located on the bottom bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back