Elginetic (The End)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Elginetic

Ok, I did my usual with this project. Stare at parts and have no idea what to do.
Todays agonizing task was the fork. The steerer tube is very long so naturally I didn't have any other choice but to use the original fork or lengthen another steerer. Plus one other fact, the original fork is a forged fork, i.e. the worst ever. I hate the darn things. If you what a bike that handles poorly, try one of these.
So I decided to make it even worse, I'm going to lengthen it and put some hook at the end by siamesing some ends from a schwinn fork. I think truss rods are in order.
A friend of mine did this to make chopper forks for his wifes bike, so it seems to work without death occurring.

Ready for welding.

I like that idea on the forks. I hope the weld makes it strong enough!!

kingfish254 said:
I like that idea on the forks. I hope the weld makes it strong enough!!

That's why the angular cut in that direction. the upper point on the original fork acts as a fulcrum point. That makes it much tougher to tear the weld. truss rods will bring some relief also.

And my wheelie days are over!

Parted out another donor so I could do this mock-up. Looks like the lucky 7 will get saved for something else, I like the fact that it's just a 5/8" rod. I'll be able to make a new one that sits level. Front fender will be used as is and the rear will get bobbed. I'll have to create a new way to mount the chain guard as well. I want it as low as possible.
I really wanted to use the seat as is, but I don't think a rustastic build is in the cards right now. I also wanted to leave the fenders alone and save that great hand paint job, but they were pulled from a recycle bin. They already have had their reprieve.

I also love the fact that the trail came out near perfect without any measuring of any kind.

I like the profile shots, To me it almost looks like it's going really fast even sitting still, I guess its because of they way everything is sorta tilted back. Looks sweet! keep it up!

Frame and forks turned out great!
The rake looks to line up pretty good for handling too.

I find easier to be motivated if the bike's a rider. Had a few things to do first. Braze on the chainguard mount, more frankenjig stuff!

Uhoh!, something's off! The stays are straight, so it's the dropouts. Had to shave some off the right side.

Looks like the "Lucky 7", got turned into a "Lucky Hockey Stick".

Bare bones rider.

I'll cut the seat post once I'm happy w/the seat location. Handling is good/excellent and trail came out perfect, was a total SWAG.

Trail looks perfect!
This is a killer build in my opinion!!!

Latest posts

Back