Elginetic (The End)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not a lot of time for me this morning, so I'll make it brief. '30's something Elgin in need of a gender bending. Gonna' take a page out of the Jake Sensi playbook and keep things real Ratty and CHEAP. Stay tuned.................................

Re: Elginetic

Get to building then!
Good luck.

Last year I had a plan, a vision, and some drive. I stuck with my original plan and followed thru.
Not so much this time around. :( Frame is too short, and I'd like to build something like my Frankenburri. So I think I'm just going to cut off the front half of the frame and flip it. then section in a donor bottom tube. This will give it a straight top tube, but I'm thinkin' I need to make a tank this time around, and my collection of woodworking tools is growing.

Like 2 years ago, I'm remodeling (3 rooms this time!) so progress will be slow. This will also be far less "enthusiastic" compared to last year as I will be bolting on parts "as is" instead of lots of painting and finishing. There will be plenty of rusty parts.
Pics after the cuttin'.

Ok, this is my final answer. 1st donor was a murray standard girls bike.

I will be revisiting the "FrankenJig" for this weld up.
Handling will be an abomination.
I won't be using this fork.

That is gonna be amazing!
It looks like a bike that should have been made!
I want it when you're done.

That is very like an idea I had for a girl's flipped bike. I think you may be executing it better than I would have, though. Excellent work so far. The great thing about flipping only the front half is that if you had the right tank for that frame, it would still work as a boy's tank. The tank would be upside down, but a little paint would disguise that.

Good luck!

CeeBee said:
I'm not one to make too many suggestions on someone's direction, but on my "Lady Elgin Gets New Mantubes" build I almost made my geometry way off. Luckily, I thought to put a wheelset on the bike with it only tacked together. When I did, I realized the overall look was very awkward so I made some tweaks to all the new geometry before I welded anything solid.
I really like what you are doing here, and you may have already put wheels on to check out the final look, but I just wanted to save you a potential headache if you haven't! :D

Yea, I'm not going to sweat it too much, I know what I'm getting into. I want to rock back the fender in the front, but I don't want to do a lot of mods to the fork. The "plan" is to use the fork off a 54 CWC, fender and all. Because of the fender fit to the fork, and I want to leave the paint intact, it won't accept "KOTA-izing". Nothing is set in stone yet. The head tube drops down about 2"s so this should make up for the loss in height caused by the rake.
But you do have a point, I'll tack it together first, then throw a fork and wheels on it to see if it's what I'm going after.
I'll reiterate that handling is not an issue, this will not be a daily rider.

I rarely get questions answered in my own threads but I'll take a shot........
Anyhow, my experience with these ancient bikes is limited and I'm wondering if a standard crank will fit in this things unusual BB cups. If not I'm gonna' have to scare up a new crank.

JoKeR63 said:
I rarely get questions answered in my own threads but I'll take a shot........
Anyhow, my experience with these ancient bikes is limited and I'm wondering if a standard crank will fit in this things unusual BB cups. If not I'm gonna' have to scare up a new crank.

I am guessing the BB is the same for most cranks to work, but I may be totally wrong. I am not talking from experience, so don't listen to me. :)

Sweet! I have a few ladies bikes waiting for re-assignment too... may have to take a few notes from your playbook when your done!

Hey Look! Progress!
Ground out the scallops and cut out the bottom tube. Got the FrankenJig! set up.
Also used a bit of seat post to strengthen the down tube.

Latest posts

Back