Elginetic (The End)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Elginetic

bruce said:
Not to hijack the post but what is 'trail'?
Trail refers to the geometry of the steering of the front wheel and front forks. If you were to draw a line from the steering tube to the ground at the same angle as the tube. Then draw a line from the front axle vertical to the ground it should trail behind where the steering tube line hits the ground by 2" to 4" if I remember right.

Trail.jpg

Thanks Drac, I was thinking about doing that for the uninitiated. But I find 4" a little high, although that would be OK on a bike that went 20mph a lot. 2" is great for cruisers.

Looks like I'm pretty close to the optimum 2".

I have an old ladies Elgin frame that I've been trying to think of what to do with it.
I think your build just answered my question. I love everything you have done. Very creative ideas.

This is JMHO, but only one thing bothers me about the top bar flip. the short bar between them just does not look "right" to me.
I would cut it out and weld it back in at an angle that is half way between the head tube angle and the seat tube angle as they are now.

fantastic job so far!!!!

jerrykr said:
This is JMHO, but only one thing bothers me about the top bar flip. the short bar between them just does not look "right" to me.
I would cut it out and weld it back in at an angle that is half way between the head tube angle and the seat tube angle as they are now.

fantastic job so far!!!!

Actually, that's a good idea. I didn't think much about that tube as the original plan was to cover it up w/a tank. But everybody loves the frame so much, that may be a sacrilegious thing to do! :roll:

dracothered said:
I think the tube should stay and you should do something like this.

Trail%202.jpg

Well the tube is stayin' either way, I'm at a certain level of commitment. Not all good ideas can be implemented.
The fill-in in the tank area is a strong possibility.

menzorro said:

This is the tank you need. Image is from the CABE...a 1939 Elgin.

And the skirt guards! Bet those would be some budget busters. :(
A wood recreation of that tank is possible, hmmm...............................................

Ok, so I'm lookin' for some black spokes. Apparently these are hard to come by at a reasonable amount of coin. 72x$1.22, you don't have to do the math to know this is nuts. But I found a cheap set of wheels ($70) with blk spokes, a cool color gold rims, and a CB hub. If I threw everything else away I'd be ahead to get the wheels. Is there a cheap source for spokes somewhere out there?

Well, looks like Drac is on the right track.(Get it?) I didn't want to use an opaque panel and I am kicking around this idea..............

Anything that looks like it's going 90 seems to gravitate to this build and I kinda' liked the sharp letters. Letters may be arranged differently.

Got the seat stripped down to bare metal. I'd sure love to leave it this way, but I just don't see a way to make that work. It's gonna' be painted or have leather glued to it.

Looks like an ancient repair to the chain guard. "I'll put a 5/16" bolt in there, I challenge that to break off on me!" Got a little taste of the country in that repair.

I'll grind and fill that later.

JoKeR63 said:
Well, looks like Drac is on the right track.(Get it?) I didn't want to use an opaque panel and I am kicking around this idea..............

Anything that looks like it's going 90 seems to gravitate to this build and I kinda' liked the sharp letters. Letters may be arranged differently.

Got the seat stripped down to bare metal. I'd sure love to leave it this way, but I just don't see a way to make that work. It's gonna' be painted or have leather glued to it.

Looks like an ancient repair to the chain guard. "I'll put a 5/16" bolt in there, I challenge that to break off on me!" Got a little taste of the country in that repair.

I'll grind and fill that later.
Love the filler idea you have there and I would keep the letters as they are. As far as the seat goes you could always use some gun bluing and then paint it with boiled linseed oil to seal it.

Slowin' things down a bit here. Got the welds filled in (braze)and I'm going to leave them a little rough. The factory ones aren't very robotic looking anyhow.
Wheels are killin' me. I had planned on using something I already have. Drop center chrome Murrays and 2.25 goodyear treads, but I'm just not fellin' 'em. I found an outfit with spokes on the cheap and I have a set of rather wide Schwinn S-2's in need of both a respoke and a paint job. I also keep seeing cream Quick Bricks on burgundy rims.
Which sets the theme for a gray bike with antique white and burgundy trim. These are not my favorite colors by any stretch but it just calls to me and I hate to ignore that stuff. I have enough primary color stuff as it is.

It's about 100 deg's in the shop, so it's a/c time.
In this pile of wheels is what's gonna' end up on the bike. I've cut all the spokes out and will be painting the schwinn S-2s. I like Komet hubs and the murray rim is an oddball anyhow. Spokes and tires are on order.

I got an artistic vein over the last few days on how to do the fender & lite bracket. Since everything needs the appearance of speed I've come up with this wing device.

The mock-up in cardboard.

The craptastic brake.

The lite will get painted, I haven't decided on colors for the wing device, but the lite will see maroon and white.

Typical frame weld, this is as far as I'm going on these.

Really need to get into gear, times runnin' out!

Latest posts

Back