Elginetic (The End)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Elginetic

It's truss rod day today!
This took all day, melting the whole time. One issue I ran into was clearance for the wings, then I had to get the flow lines parallel. This meant having a rear mounting point. So I brazed the rods to these fake rockers or "faux-kers" (don't use this term around the kiddies!). I'll be grinding these to a point. Still going on my speed theme.

The design of this bike has taken on a life of it's own.

Please keep following the path that this bile is telling you to go. I love this build on so many levels. The frame just looks like it should always been like that. Funny to think of someone trying to figure what model it was 40 years from now on Rrb2050.

kingfish254 said:
Please keep following the path that this bile is telling you to go. I love this build on so many levels. The frame just looks like it should always been like that. Funny to think of someone trying to figure what model it was 40 years from now on Rrb2050.
Hey King, would that be bile or bike? Both are accurate, however. :D

Smart phone ain't so smart. :p

And now for some filler.........................................

Used a pizza box for a template.

I'm gonna' split a small rubber tube and put it on the back edge.

I 'm holding off on the lettering, I feel a change in plan coming on.

Since the weather has decided to go full New Orleans (daily rain) for about the next week, I figured it's time to shake it out.

The chain-brake lever hookup. I seen this a while back and was wondering when I could finally use it.

OUCH!, looks like this hub has seen better days. Too bad thou, it was a nice old school hub. :cry:

This is why I NEVER paint anything first before a trial fit.

I'm having some doubts about the seat post. I may bend it further to get it down a bit. I wish I could reverse the clamp. We'll see.........................................

These wheels absolutely suck the wind out of this bike. I'm really glad I had an alternate plan as these were my first thought.

Disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a bad feeling the whole time I was ordering parts and now I know why.
Tires showed up the wrong color. Instead of the cream Quick Bricks I got grey. Nice.
Then I looked at the spokes, these things are 1/8" thick, they're huge! But I had to go with these due to an odd length. Now both hubs have to be drilled. If you've ever done this you know it's not fun.
Then I tried calling the tire place and all I got was this;
"H.........................................c...........................................k............................l.........................
Apparently phone communications between here and Cali had no plans on working today. They're closed all weekend.
IIRC I had to delete the gray tires from my shopping cart (although I clicked on the cream) once and that's probably the source of the screw up.

So after a long bought of anger, .................well maybe it's karma. I wanted at one time to have cream rims, but with cream tires it was a bit much. But with the grey tires it might work. I may do a "grey scale" (B&W) lack of color scheme.

That leaned-back, front-end forward stance reminds me of the "Keep on Truckin' "posters of the late '60's (history books ya know). Looks great!!

Here ya go, bfelt. I think you're right.

OK, this is the part that drives me nuts. It's time to get the lighting ready. LED conversion's a must. But this stuff is tedious, and it takes forever. :roll:
I'm leaven' the chrome on the tail lite as it's in good shape, and it'll go good with the hub.

Single white led used, here it is lit up

Reflector is in tough shape, it's gettin' spray chromed.

Got to cut a large hole in it to accommodate the 9 led lamphead. Since it's paper thin, and I am using a holesaw, I mounted it down firmly to a piece of wood, then clamped that to my drillpress.

Ready for paint. We've got another 4 days of the tropics, I should be ready to start painting next weekend. Glass bulb will work as well, I just have to get a DPDT center off switch for it. It'll just get used for photos.

I have also worked out some issues with the seat, I just got to get next to the welder, stay tuned....................

Just for posterity.................
Grandson was born today.

Oh, and paint is going on. So quite a bit got done today.

JoKeR63 said:
Just for posterity.................
Grandson was born today.

Oh, and paint is going on. So quite a bit got done today.

CONGRATS GRANDPA!!!!!

This build is incredible. I agree looks like it could have been made that way

Thought I'd throw up a couple of pics of the paint process. Thanks everybody for all the nice comments, and especially to the King of RRBO's Karfer, it's an honor to here from you. If we do Anything Goes again next year, please throw your hat into ring. You've had a nice long drought.
I really hated to cut these fenders up. I seen how these things were painted at the factory. They'ed clamp them in a device that would swing on the radius, then a worker (usually a woman, eye for detail) would hold a brush against the fender, then swing it, making for very straight pinstripes.
So here's to you, pinstripe paintin' woman, RIP.

First layer of antique white is on. Filler is satin black. I'm going to reproduce the fenders white tips.

I'll get to the seat tomorrow, if I don't die of heat exhaustion.

Latest posts

Back