ENGINE No.9 (completely complete!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: BARBACUED IGUANA

This two springers ideas in a same time :shock: :shock: Amazing.

Looks good.... Great creativity... i give it two thumbs up... 8)

Those springers ideas are over the top. Lots of thinking outside the box. :idea:

Becareful on that seat post as those handlebars usually are not the same thickness as a seatpost.

More progress pics... So if i have a bell on my bike i almost always mount it on the seat tube, this bike is no exception but with the handlebars so far forward it's going to make reaching it difficult if not down right dangerous. I decided to solve this problem by attaching the bell to a brake cable and lever. It works great! Now a quick pull on the brake, or should i say "bell lever" should keep all those pedestrians in check. :lol: :p

prog1.jpg

prog2.jpg

oh yeah, almost forgot. i ditched the curved handlebar seat post idea and just went a regular straight post instead.

prog3.jpg

one thing i noticed about these long bikes is that it's a real pain to pedal them up hills. maybe it's because of the position you ride them or possibly their gearing isn't ideal. i want to be able to ride it up hills without having to stand up to pedal so i finally made a decision and picked out this crank sprocket. it should DEFINITELY lower the gear ratio enough so that most any incline will not be problem.

sprkt1.jpg

sprkt2.jpg

sensor said:
okay....now i like the schwinn style springers
great idea :!:

yeah, i felt the same way about those springers but it's what i had laying around so i decided to use it. i'm glad i did otherwise i might have never even thought about the different ways they can be used. now i find i have a renewed interest in them as well.

there has been many times after just pedaling up to the top of a steep hill in the middle of summer that i wish i had something to drink. however, i've never been a big fan of water bottles, they're big, bulky and not very attractive in my opinion. i needed something better, something i wouldn't mind having on my bike so i went with a flask. i just re-bent a aluminum bottle holder i had to match the shape then mounted it in the most convenient place i could and there you have it, problem solved.

flask1.jpg

flask2.jpg

flask3.jpg

i'll be using this cool little 1950's(i think) flashlight to make my headlight and taillight. the base holds 4 D size batteries so it looks like i'll be using everything except the handle.

flashlight.jpg

Re: BARBACUED IGUANA 5/9 update - lots o' pics!

busy day today, let's get to it...

flashlight idea worked out well. installed a visor off an old bullet light too!
591.jpg

592.jpg

taillight's lookin good.
594.jpg

best place i could find for the battery box... for the moment.
595.jpg

been saving this little chainguard forever, i FINALLY get to use it.
596.jpg

started working on the wrap around fenders. i only got the rear done today but the front will look very much the same.
597.jpg

598.jpg

at the end of the day 5/9.....
599.jpg

well, that's it for now. hope everybody likes it so far. more to come soon! :D

Re: BARBACUED IGUANA 5/10 update- hub caps!

i think the ugliest part of any bike is the axle nuts so i wanted some hub caps to cover them up. but in an effort to do things as cheaply as possible i decided to make my own. i went to the hardware store and picked up the items shown below for about $8.00. i then used the quick set epoxy to secure the nut to the backside. after it dried it was just a matter of screwing them on. ugly axle nuts are now hidden!

hubcap1.jpg

hubcap2.jpg

hubcap3.jpg

hmmmm, maybe i've already revealed too much.........

Re: BARBACUED IGUANA 5/11 last update!

fenders are done. diamond plate tank inserts are almost done as well. this will probably be one of the last updates i post until june or so. i still have a few more tricks up my sleeve and i don't want to tip my whole hand, but... anybody that followed my build build from last year might have a clue. :shock:

PICT0109.jpg

oooooooooooooo....drop it or throw flames?????????????????????????????

That light is just perfect fits the mood of that bike just excelent.

Latest posts

Back