Etta ( completed front fork with assembly and a mock-up!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so the inspiration for todays progress

I still have to finish the fork pivits but this is what I got done today

card board mock- up

still have to fabricate the spring arms and am hoping to do that tomorrow. then tear it apart and start prepping for paint!!

Troy

Cool rockers, but you may want to check the geometry. I forget all of the proper terms, but it looks like your axle may be set back enough that it might adversely affect the steering.

Cool rockers, but you may want to check the geometry. I forget all of the proper terms, but it looks like your axle may be set back enough that it might adversely affect the steering.
was kind of thinking that also was thinking after I build the spring bars dropping a single speed rear rim and some tires and trying it out!!

Troy

I found the term - "trail". I think you'll be fine after looking at some other images.
http://calfeedesign.com/tech-papers/geometry-of-bike-handling/
http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/trail.html
when I was looking at pics it looked to be about 1 to 1 forward to rear. with the wheel axle lower then the pivot (a hard lesson learned from last year) it should track with no fork rise on turns (I hope)!! have the factory rear rim for this bike and after the test ride will remove chain crank etc!!! thanks for the heads up and research KF!!!!!!!!!

Troy

Looks good! I think you have to switch your fork leaves top to bottom though, your current set up pulls the leaf down when you hit a bump so the added load carrying leaf on top is unused, if you put it underneath it will add to the load carrying.

Luke.

I like the disc brakes!

As discussed already, your trail does look off to me and I noticed the leaf being upside down also. One solution (if it turns out to be a problem) would be to rethink the rockers so that the drop outs are in front of the fork. This would also correct the leaf spring as it would push instead of pull. Good luck!

Looks good! I think you have to switch your fork leaves top to bottom though, your current set up pulls the leaf down when you hit a bump so the added load carrying leaf on top is unused, if you put it underneath it will add to the load carrying.

Luke.
the little leaf is kind of ornamental until I test it out. was not sure if I would need that much spring on the front suspension. hopefully I will be able to get a test ride on it todayand will be able to adjust from there!!!!

Troy

I like the disc brakes!

As discussed already, your trail does look off to me and I noticed the leaf being upside down also. One solution (if it turns out to be a problem) would be to rethink the rockers so that the drop outs are in front of the fork. This would also correct the leaf spring as it would push instead of pull. Good luck!
when I did the initial assembly of the spring I was still thinking of doing the in front of the fork axle placement but was concerned about the leverage and being able to get good travel on the suspension. on Wilfrid from last year I found out that the wheel axle needs to be lower then the pivot point so have made sure of that. will flip the spring today when a build the spring arms. I made a template for the axle in front of the pivot and have a piece of metal already cut if needed. hopefully it will work!!

Troy

oh also concerned about the angle of the spring arms so my shorten the spring to get a better angle from rocker to spring!!! thanks for the help and Support guys!!!!! I really appreciate the input!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troy

Latest posts

Back