Etta's Vacation Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Happy 2017 Rat Rodders!

After a long bitter hiatus, I am back to building/riding. Back surgeries (2012-2015) had me way out of the game.

Anyway. My lovely bride gave me a great birthday gift this month .. 1960 Schwinn Speedster (dated 4/20/1960).
I'll post progress on that in another thread. The bike I am entering is actually the $20 CraigsList
bike that happily gave up it's alloy wheels for the Speedster. Yes, it's the LaJolla aluminum POS pictured
below. Since my wife and I have the same birthday (weird, huh?), I'll be building it up for her. I have less
than two weeks to finish it ... just in time for beach vacation and hopefully fat tire cruising.

Her Nickname is "Etta" ... hence the project name.
Wish me luck (?)

The bike as it sat yesterday. Frame is now free of parts
LaJolla-03142017.jpg

Small parts:
Camping light hack begins
headlight01.jpg

What's this?
whatsthis.jpg

Teaser shot of Speedster (BMX build coming). SO VERY HAPPY none of the parts were stuck
2017-03-15%2010.55.49.jpg

Last edited:
I think if I had nothing else to do... AND all the parts in hand, I could probably build a bike in the time we have left. But man that's pushing it and some days my creative mind is somewhere else plotting (or praying) Looking forward to seeing both bikes finished.

Carl.

I think if I had nothing else to do... AND all the parts in hand, I could probably build a bike in the time we have left. But man that's pushing it and some days my creative mind is somewhere else plotting (or praying) Looking forward to seeing both bikes finished.

Carl.
Hi Carl, it's Carl. :)

Upside: All parts on hand, and fab-ing/fitting can be done in the house.
Downside: It's too d*&^% cold to paint!

Sanding (nearly) complete. Second phase of fitting tomorrow, and
a light coat of paint. Paint is going to take awhile with this cold spell.
May have to burn the branch pile Saturday night and make sure all
painted parts are close. :)

Headlight painted, lens tinted, bracket TBD
headlight02.jpg

Latest posts

Back