Evans found at Hershey AACA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a loong time since I've posted here, life gets in the way like that for me, along with multiple hobbies and projects. Anyway, I took the pickup to Hershey on Friday for the Antique Automobile Club of America fall meet, hoping to score a bike or two. This was my only deal, the guy wanted $100 and he accepted very quickly when I offered $70 (my reaction: "rats, should have offered $50" :roll: ).

DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

DSCN0301.jpg

DSCN0305.jpg

Head badge is a decal so I'm guessing this dates to the early 1960s - anybody know? I like the squared fenders but the rust is so heavy in places I think I would have to paint them if I wanted to keep this bike pretty complete. But, I had seen this springer in a couple of builds on here and really lusted after one, so it was worth the money to me since it's so hard to find an old bike deal here in the DC area.

I think I may borrow the idea from Yeshoney's RRBO2 Elvis creationhttp://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4357 and combine this Evans springer fork with the Firebolt frame I picked up on ebay earlier this year. I would use different handle bars, seat and do a different kind of paint job, but I love the way the frame and fork go together. It looks like the Evans fork is about 1/2" to 3/4" taller than the Firebolt fork, could I just cut down the Evans fork? What kind of tool is needed to cut threads if I did that?

No idea when I'll get to it, but this one will be fun to build.

Lots of good, affordable bikes at Hershey this year! One local shop brought over 50. Many with springers, racks, lights, and brass headbadges. They were rough but priced right.

My Hershey finds this year were:

A pre-war Colson Clipper with a springer and ND two speed.
A 1965 Raleigh Tourist (rod brake 28" wheel roadster.)
A 1964 Schwinn american with a chrome springer
A 1966 VIOLET Schwinn Typhoon
A wartime Columbia lightweight with blackout parts
A white 1971 Schwinn Suburban
A rusty thing from the 20's that will look good in my flower bed.

That's a really cool bike....
If you ever decide you'd rather get a nice return on your investment instead of keeping it, I'd be interested..... :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back