EvansColson Special Commander (Got Evans?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wired up the headlight this AM. I put a battery pack in the tank and added a switch at the bottom side of the left tank. I used wire ties to secure the pack. The down side is that to replace the horn D cells or the double AA headlight cells I'll have to remove and replace the wire ties, not a big deal but a hassle. Buttoned it up and all is well and good.
d8b9712955fdd6df0d7497b6bde25a5a.jpg
2de9a8bdc753d627b9a0cb5253ee7b26.jpg
881499361a12d6df352ac5dda1bd3ac7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of items arrived Thursday via UPS, a Soma Edison taillight and a Crane E-NE bell. I'm a bit disappointed with the size of the taillight. No size was listed but it appeared to be larger than what it is. It may appear out of scale on the rear fender. Time will tell.
11da2d76450d588cbd2826a1102e9458.jpg

Nice work inside the tank.
Cool goodies too. That SOMA light reminds me of the Chrysler tailight I used on Firewing.
As far as the chainguard emblem, I think it looks better without it. I am not a big fan of that Special Edition piece. Maybe a decal would look better. Just my opinion.

A couple of items arrived Thursday via UPS, a Soma Edison taillight and a Crane E-NE bell. I'm a bit disappointed with the size of the taillight. No size was listed but it appeared to be larger than what it is. It may appear out of scale on the rear fender. Time will tell.
11da2d76450d588cbd2826a1102e9458.jpg

These are nice!
I agree with Kingfish about the Special emblem...

Luke.

Nice work inside the tank.
Cool goodies too. That SOMA light reminds me of the Chrysler tailight I used on Firewing.
As far as the chainguard emblem, I think it looks better without it. I am not a big fan of that Special Edition piece. Maybe a decal would look better. Just my opinion.
Thanks for your honesty KF. The emblem is still not attached and is iffy. It also has a bit of curvature to the mounting side as it is for a car body, which affects mounting on the flat guard. I started looking for an old style script special emblem but they aren't cheap. I've looked numerous places and have found several but I'm too cheap. My decal transfer contact hasn't been reliable.
These are nice!
I agree with Kingfish about the Special emblem...
Luke.
Thanks Luke, see my comment above.

Managed to mount the taillight without removing rear wheel. I drilled two holes in fender and used a piece of bent flashing metal behind the fender to protect the tire. It basically mounts with one bolt and a stud, all you have to do is get the washer and nut placed and started. It would have probably been easier to remove hub caps and wheel or at least let the wheel slide forward in the dropout.
0b8ae22b79bd5d6b893f3e7961051df2.jpg
afb3db152492231ac90660887b0202e2.jpg
still not pleased with the size and proportion. So if you like the light be forewarned of the scale. I have tag and bracket yet to add.

Looking at the light and trying to visualize a tag and bracket it still looks small to me,don't get me wrong the light is really cool and I like it a lot but seems small in comparison to the bike as a whole.

The frame rail things around the light would blend well with a rear rack on a liner,so I have to ask since I have a liner project...where did you get the light?

Looking at the light and trying to visualize a tag and bracket it still looks small to me,don't get me wrong the light is really cool and I like it a lot but seems small in comparison to the bike as a whole.

The frame rail things around the light would blend well with a rear rack on a liner,so I have to ask since I have a liner project...where did you get the light?
I'm in agreement on the size of the light. I ordered it online from Soma Fabrications, www.somafab.com. You might be able to order it through a bike shop. Around $30.

Tag, bracket and reflector added.
635530cd3e8c2287098e80fa993e1f2b.jpg
694b5b0f07a2f62cf23ec47da2626b01.jpg
d29841a1e58935615c65c61a2ff2b3a6.jpg
62001da6e00a71099cb692e9ef38a5e4.jpg

I'm somewhat in agreement with you. I looked through my shots but I didn't take a wide view of the plate centered over the chainring and below the white. Here is a view of the whole guard but with the plate over the white.
3ebfadd992cbd5e04f1e243a391a0d26.jpg

That's the winner for me too! The filler hider worked well. Nice build!

That rear end is killer! That light, reflector, license....just awesome. As I said before, I'm going to have to go back on my anxiety medication; HOW IN HECK does anyone narrow their votes down to 3 BIKES!?!

Getting psyched up to distress the chainguard. Also waiting on another couple of options for chainguard graphics. I did a test ride which proved successful. I still have a few final tweaks to finish.
23bfdbd2479649ad09e1daaed7ae07d0.jpg
88f9f8f3d514a5ae71b98317b107d496.jpg
672eae169e8363cfe6e334fce10d7c13.jpg
04857ebdaf5a64b105cda0da0d663e24.jpg

I would think some steel wool to 'open the pores' of the paint, followed by some brown shoe polish to give it the same look as the tank....

PS, where'd you get that bar mounted clock?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The clock is a "Trek" product. They offered them a few years ago as a simple clock and as a computer. You might be able to still find one at a Trek dealer but the battery will probably be dead. They take a 377 cell.

I'm having anxiety towards starting trying to make it look old as the paint looks good. Thanks for the idea. The wool will knock down the shine. I've also used Min-Wax stain before.

Now that is see the light with the license plate, I think the tail light is just the right size. I might need to order me one of those lights. Very cool.
Www.somafab.com is the SOMA Fabrications company web site. You might see if your LBS can order for you.

Maybe "Rat Rod" could pick up some of their stuff for his store.

Latest posts

Back