Evolution of a Cruiser, here I go again.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This poor bike. While I have owned it, it has been...
P1000777.jpg

A fixed gear cruiser.
P1010292.jpg

An Xtracycle equipped cargo bike.
IMG00314.jpg

A multi-speed klunker.
IMG00093.jpg

A fixed gear DIY cargo bike.
P1030011.jpg

My Biker Build Off 5 entry.
IMG02403.jpg

And back to a fat tire cruiser, with a coaster brake this time.

Flyer... by Paul de Valera, on Flickr
But, inspired by the Coaster Bike Classic, hosted by Atomic Cycles in the San Fernando Valley, I am rebuilding it into a coaster braked, front suspended klunker. Whew!

I think I like the homemade cargo bike version the best.

Retro Ryder Headset by Paul de Valera, on Flickr
Awesome!
This bad boy lets you mount a 1 1/8 steertube fork in an older frame, like this.
IMG02406.jpg

IMG02405.jpg

IMG02404.jpg

Now I need to rebuild that fork so it works again.

Well nobody seems interested but I persevere.
New seat, Nashbar brand
IMG02408.jpg

and new handlebars, Sinz cruiser bars.
IMG02411.jpg

IMG02412.jpg

Still waiting for new fork springs, cable up the front brake and maybe change the gearing...

I'm watching to see what is next. I have one bike that has gone through several mock ups but every time I ride it a few times and get bored with it and into pieces it goes again. Now I finally have an idea of where to go with it.

Well I have been waiting for the fork rebuild kit before continuing but I just got an email saying that it would be another 10 days or so before any orders can be shipped. :(
Apparently a supplier problem, sigh.
So I swapped out the rear tire to match the front, and I hope tonight I can cable up a front brake so I can ride this thing.

IMG02417.jpg

IMG02423.jpg

Added brakes with a Potts mod stem cap. They are a bit mushy, but shortening the cable should help.
IMG02425.jpg

Grips and brakes attached.
IMG02426.jpg

Nice rear end. I guess this could be done, I still need to rebuild the fork, whenever the parts arrive, and maybe change the gearing.

Some more updates.
IMG02479.jpg

Some work on the front brake to firm it up. Looks nice to.
IMG02480.jpg

Different stem.
Sill waiting on the rebuild kit, hope to hear from them soon.

Bump, bump.
Well the fork rebuild kit never came, I found a rigid fork and had fun with the bike as a classic klunker.

Lately I have been hankering for some fat wheels, so a couple of trades later, I have a set of 24" 3G wheels and Felt Berm Masters.

Some fiddiling later I manage to mount them to the frame,

I removed the front brake, and slipped on a new set of grips.

I love this fork, but not here. I have a working suspension fork that might be better, we will see.

Hard to figure out which version I like best! I think the Manito fork with out the blue brace . Very nice.

Wondering how you turned the brown seat to black. Love the Nashbar bike seats. Wish they still had them. Comfort and looks both. Being an old man I have to say that the 5 speed klunker is my choice. Single speeds have clean lines but my old knees need the lower gears from time to time. All the versions have been nice.

That latest incarnation is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Latest posts

Back