Excited to rekindle my passion for peddle power

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on a project bike to pass the covid blues. My first bike was a 1950's Schwinn. In an effort to be cool I stripped it down to bare bones. Finding the box of parts a few months ago I wondered why I took all the cool stuff off the bike. I have recently purchased a daily rider, it is a jc Higgins vagabond. I am excited to rekindle that passion of fixing up a bicycle once again. I can't seem to find out much about the bike. I am assuming it is early 60's sears brand. If any of you can shed any light on the model I would be grateful for the info.

I've wanted to find a Vagabond for years. There are a few different brand names for that same bike. Firestone Vagabond was one, looks like a Monark chain wheel. There's a whole thread on the CABE on that bike. It says MTD made the bike.
1594885690673.png

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/m...-vagabond-16-take-apart-bicycle-thread.83439/
JC Higgins was Sears 63 and earlier, after 63, Sears just went with Sears as a bike brand. The ad says introduced in 65, but your bike is older because it's named JC Higgins. I thought I had seen all the versions of that bike.

My bike is a cruiser and not the vagabond pictured above. I will have to set up a photobucket account to share my bike photos. I have found an identical bike and this is where I got the model name. The Vagabond may not actually be the model name??

Attachments

• 4e9e5bbd3fadac4d04a03a47cd2a7580.jpg
    4e9e5bbd3fadac4d04a03a47cd2a7580.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 117
That Higgins is super cool. No need for photobukket to share photos, you can just upload them directly to the forum. There's an "Attach files" button, click it and select your pics. Be sure to select the full image option, it makes for easier viewing

Welcome aboard! Sorry I took this thread the wrong way.

I also looked for a Higgins Vagabond and found the same pic. So I think they did have that model, unless someone went out of their way to make a decal for the chain guard. I've never seen one, and I've seen most of their models first hand. They imported some lightweight bikes, usually 3 speeds from England and Austria in the late 50's and early 60's. Your lugged frame and 26 x 1 3/8ths tires (from what they look like) show it to be one of those. The fenders and chain guard look very similar to the english made style of late 50's. J C Higgins used thier own logo on the chain rings back then. I'm looking to see if I can find a similar frame.
vagabond jc higgins.jpg

Welcome aboard! Sorry I took this thread the wrong way.

I also looked for a Higgins Vagabond and found the same pic. So I think they did have that model, unless someone went out of their way to make a decal for the chain guard. I've never seen one, and I've seen most of their models first hand. They imported some lightweight bikes, usually 3 speeds from England and Austria in the late 50's and early 60's. Your lugged frame and 26 x 1 3/8ths tires (from what they look like) show it to be one of those. The fenders and chain guard look very similar to the english made style of late 50's. J C Higgins used thier own logo on the chain rings back then. I'm looking to see if I can find a similar frame.
View attachment 129234
Thank you so much for taking the time to investigate.

That's a cool frame! Never seen one of those. It reminds me of the Iver Johnson truss frame, but with a twist.

I think I may of solved the model identity of my bike. I spoke to a gentleman that has a similar bicycle. His frame is clearly a JC Higgins flightliner made in england sold at Sears Canada in the fifties. Thank you all for your held and welcoming me to the group. Happy cycling everyone.
Screenshot_20200716_212950_com.ebay.kijiji.ca.jpg

Interesting! The US Flightliner was a different frame design.

Your right most of the European models had three piece cranks. That is the reason why I think this is a North American built bike possibly a Canadian CCM.

Welcome Sarah.

You came to the right place!!!!

The guys here know EVERYTHING and are also super connected on parts you need or hard to find bikes!!!

They’re also super kind and helpful.

Welcome and I look forward to seeing your projects unfold.

Latest posts

Back