FAIL! (rear brake issue) -- Update 5/17 - Now with pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm rebuilding a 79 schwinn cruiser that I bought at garage sale, after I got it home I noticed it had a nexus 3spd hub and freewheel, I thought cool, even better! it has a barely working front cantilever semi attached so I promply bought a new rear cantilever brake assembly, went to the garage to bolt it on and to my surprise the rear bar to attach it to has the bolt through hole going the wrong way, I'm assuming for attaching a fender. My question would be, is there any type of adapter that will allow me to use the existing rear bar, or maybe attach it to the frame sides somehow? I'm looking for a bolt on solution since I don't have a welder. Or are there any other rear brake options out there besides the bottom of my shoe? I guess I really should've taken a closer look at the bike

Re: FAIL! (rear brake issue)

Schwinn coaster frames all used a rear arch that had only a hole perpendicular to the tire tread for mounting a fender. The multispeed bikes had a rear arch with a flat bracket welded in such a way to hold a caliper brake. in the 20" bikes, that was the difference between a coaster Stingray and a 5-speed Krate or Stingray or 3-speed Deluxe.

And yeah, there's no way to modify the frame short of cutting out one type of arch and welding in the other one. Something nobody wants to do, even on a bike getting repainted.

There is an adapter made to change the brake mount. Hyper-Formance has offered these for sale, and you can at least see pictures of them, in the Parts section of their web site : http://www.hyper-formance.com

I don't know if I'd trust the rear fender bracket for brake duty. They don't seem all that strong, and it is your stopping ability we're talking about here. If you find something secure enough, you can test it and decide if it's rugged enough for everyday use.

For the front, there's no reason you can't have an effective brake on there. At least get that one working. I'm not sure which model you're talking about, since "cruiser" is used for a lot of styles of bike, but it sounds like you mean an actual Schwinn Cruiser badged model.

The bike probably came with a coaster-brake single speed rear hub, and you could go back to that, or find a drum-brake rear wheel, like one from a tandem, or a 3-spd coaster, made by either Sturmey Archer or Shimano (now probably badged as a Nexus.)

Any of those options will give you a rear brake without having to change the frame or rig up some way to mount a caliper.

I just built a ladies '47 Schwinn into a 5-speed for my wife using a drum/5-spd rear wheel.

Good luck!
--Rob

slim724 said:
So I'm rebuilding a 79 schwinn cruiser that I bought at garage sale, after I got it home I noticed it had a nexus 3spd hub and freewheel, I thought cool, even better! it has a barely working front cantilever semi attached so I promply bought a new rear cantilever brake assembly, went to the garage to bolt it on and to my surprise the rear bar to attach it to has the bolt through hole going the wrong way, I'm assuming for attaching a fender. My question would be, is there any type of adapter that will allow me to use the existing rear bar, or maybe attach it to the frame sides somehow? I'm looking for a bolt on solution since I don't have a welder. Or are there any other rear brake options out there besides the bottom of my shoe? I guess I really should've taken a closer look at the bike

Some people install an older BMX/MTB style side pull brake on the lower bridge, down by the kick stand mount. An adapter or drilling is necessary.

I have a newer full suspension cheapie mountain bike and a newer Haro BMX to cannabalize from, I think the mtn bike has a brake plate on the front fork I'm going to get up and check after I make some breakfast. I found a pic last night of a cruiser with a brake plate mounted high, attached with steel clamps, I like the idea of having it low much better, thanks for all the ideas, I have some thinking to do over breakfast

Some old Huffy mtn bikes had a cantilever setup that bolted onto the frame with a horseshoe shaped bracket. In the past I've made use of these, attaching them with a hose clamps to the seat stays. V- brakes will mount to them, and I've stiffened them up with an aftermarket brace attached to the mounts.

As kids, we just stuck our foot between the kickstand and rear tire.

There is a better way. I got the idea from an old conversion someone did to a 64 Starlet. They put a standard 3 speed wheel on and made up a bracket that bolted through 1/4 holes drilled in the stays. The brake then bolted to the middle of the bracket. If you didn't want to drill holes, the bracket could bolt up like a clamp on the frame. When I redid that bike for a neighbor, I made it 6 speed and used those same holes with a better homemade plate for the rear brake.

muhgrn.jpg

npj4o3.jpg

Well I checked out the haro and the has the lugs welded to the frame so there's no brake plates to use, the mtn bike has a plate on the front fork but it's welded on. I found some flat plate steel laying around so I'm thinking of cutting a custom clamp type bracket since I don't want to drill into the frame my only worry is how strong the adapter would be with it only being clamped together with a couple of bolts

There are clamp-on rack brackets that would work, but fabbing your own may result in a better fit , You could cut one side way down on a piece of angle iron for rigidity, notch for the frame stays, then it could be pressed together with just the brake bolt, it holds the brake already, after all. :|

Yep something like that, except the plate I'm using is thinner gauge and cut triangular shaped to match the curves of the frame more, I'm going to use 4 small bolts on the inside area of the frame rather than outside, but right now I'm having trouble drilling the holes, I've gone through 2 new bits, and actually melted the tip off a dremel cutting tip in a partially drilled hole that left a Hershey kiss like dab of metal in the area I partially drilled, awesome!

Bought a new bit for hardened steel, still no luck drilling the hole for 30 mins, so I gave up on my triangular plate adapter. After seeing blackphantom's thread about his same brake issue, I went to the store bought the same exact piece, it has pre-drilled holes and made the same adapter. It works and only took a few hrs, mainly because I painted mine and rounded the edges with a file, I also added metal tube shielding for all 3 bolts to go through, looks a little nicer and makes it so you can't overtighten and bend the braces. Thanks deorman for pointing me to that thread, and thanks blackphantom for a ridiculously cheap adapter that works! I took pics, but I'll have to post them another time when I get some time

Glad to be of service, Post a pic so we can see the new design. I am also grinding out some more of the brace to make room for mud shedding and to give the tire some breathing room. I plan on prettying up mine a bit too. I just consider it a prototype that worked on the first try.
klunk002-1.jpg

diceman said:
how are you drilling the holes , the new drill should have worked . if you are using a drill press , set the belts at the slowest speed , or you will just melt the drill
i'm using a hand drill :(

finally some pics to go with the thread

the steel plate for original adapter idea
dsc01260ks.jpg

cut the 2 plates
dsc01261x.jpg

the hardware to bolt it together
dsc01269wg.jpg

now all I had to do is drill the holes
dsc01268a.jpg

I went through 3 drill bits, and actually melted the tip off a dremel cutting bit that left like a spot weld in the partially drilled hole :shock: you can kind of see it in this pic
dsc01271w.jpg

I was able to remove the dab of metal with a lrge screwdriver and hammer, it shot out and ricocheted throught the garage like a beebee! I then went to the store bought a new bit for hardened steel and got back to drilling, after a half hour and almost no progress, I started to like the solution deorman pointed me to that blackphantom came up with, so I went to the store again and started on that type of adapter

straight steel re-enforcement strap, a few dollars at the store, it has pre-drilled holes that fit perfectly, cut with a hacksaw, shaped with a hand file
dsc01273ki.jpg

dsc01274q.jpg

dsc01275uw.jpg

I then painted it with some spray paint I had
dsc01278u.jpg

dsc01280r.jpg

I added some metal tube shielding to go around all the bolts so you can't overtighten and bend the brace
dsc01282t.jpg

dsc01281co.jpg

dsc01283xf.jpg

dsc01284i.jpg

some daylight pics
dsc01290j.jpg

dsc01291in.jpg

dsc01292g.jpg

dsc01293k.jpg

it is really nice to have brakes again, thanks to all for your help and ideas

That tempered plate from your first effort would probably surrender to a quality (read high-priced :roll: ) carbide bit. Also helps to put a little oil in the hole once it starts. :wink:

I'm still very interested in finishing the original setup, so you think a carbide bit with a hand drill would work? How much are we talkin? And I did use some oil to no avail

You mean like with a crank? Or just hand held? If it's electric it needs to be variable speed, full blast may just push the iron molecules around, instead of cutting it. Never tried hand crank on metal, no opinion on that.

Latest posts

Back