Fair Weather Rat Rodder...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Hey, I'm Rob.

I never even THOUGHT needing a rat rod, fat bike, or any other non-go fast bike...until I bought a single speed to ride the bike trail, and basically gave up my road bike (a super nice Basso frame with Campy components). So - I took the single speed (a $600 Mongoose grey thing) and changed out the bars, took off the rear disc brake and upgraded the front disc, and changed all the other stuff I needed to. It's perfect - for the small amount of $$ I put into it.

Then, the GF said we were spending most of the summer at the beach (Outer Banks, NC), where there isn't a hill, or a trail in sight...but you NEED a decent bike to get to the store and back - due to the friggin horrendous traffic some days. Oh yeah - and to get some exercise

So I had seen a WallyMart fat bike for about $100, and started thinking about that - but I preach that "If you aren't going to spend a few bucks on a decent bike...just walk everywhere; it's less painful"

Started looking at half decent single speed fat bikes, and decided on the El Niño from Felt. Got it on sale for $600, and told myself that I wouldn't fix anything on the bike that disn't need fixing. So I got it, painted it, put new bars on it (after cutting them, painting them, and turning them upside down)...and now I feel like I'm well on my way to rat rodding the heck out of it. (No matter what I tell myself, I am GOING to do more stuff.

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"

Welcome aboard. As someone who actually bought a fat "Wallygoose", it's ok for casual use if you service it first, and thread the bottom bracket back together like it was an armed warhead:crazy:, but trust the cheap coaster hub with my life in heavy traffic? :comando:I don't think so. :grin:

image.jpeg
Deor,
Dude, I was THIS close -| |-
To buying the Walbike. Knowing that I'd do exactly like most other guys - and within a short time I'd have more in to parts and 'sessories than the bike cost. I just took a short cut.

The Felt has atually slowed me down though, I get stopped daily by guys asking me "is that hard to ride? Can you ride it in the sand? Why are you so good looking?" Stuff like that.

As for now, imma fat bike convert. (Or, as with most old guys - prevert)

Latest posts

Back