Fairlady

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I started to build my first ladies bike! I'll draw some inspiration from the -57 Fairlane, and it'll be a bike for a lady, hence the name. :)
It's almost a little ironic that all my previous builds (except the Mustang for last year's build off) have been scratch builds, but when I started the build threads for those there was no separate section for scratch builds. Now when there is such a section here on rrb, I start on a bike that won't be built from scratch! :lol: The frame I'll use will be heavily modified though...
I haven't done a proper sketch of the frame like I usually do, I've only done a little doodle, instead I'll build this bike pretty much by eye.
My mother's cousin and her husband are very kind and let me use their garage! I'll actually be building a bike with a roof over my head!! :D

Here's what I've done today:

I'll se if I can make a decent headlight out of fiberglass. Made a cylinder from cardboard and filled it with foam.
Actually, I did this yesterday...
Framlykta1.jpg

That gave me this to shape into what I want the headlight to look like.
Framlykta2.jpg

Here's the bike that will be competely transformed!
Orrd.jpg

Here's the same bike after some precicion work ( :shock: ) with the grinder. This was done today.
Rambygge1.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to do some more work on it tomorrow! :)

Very cool......I'll bet this is first sex change in this direction on here. Based on your past builds I'm sure it will be very nice! :mrgreen:

Thanks HotRodJen and SimpleMan! :D

SimpleMan said:
I'll bet this is first sex change in this direction on here.

Oh, you might be right! Come to think of it I've only seen conversions going the other way. :eek:

First mow the lawn, then build bike! :D

Today's progress:

Heated the rearstays with a torch and then bent them a little to lower the stance of the bike slightly (about an inch).
Rambygge2.jpg

Bent the top tube and filed the ends to fit the seat tube and head tube.
Rambygge3.jpg

Next is to weld the top tube in place and start on the seatstays. :)

Today I've helped my brother to get the hay inside the barn, but I managed to get a little done on the bike as well!

Welded the top tube in place.
Rambygge4.jpg

And bent the seatstays into shape and mitered them at the ends. They're just taped in place in this photo, I'll see if I can weld them tomorrow. :)
Rambygge5.jpg

I hope to be back with more progress tomorrow!
Take care until then everybody! :)

your frame looks great so far! The lines are perfect. You seem to have quite the talent for frame geometry! :D

Galt....you da man.... there is so much someone can learn from your builds, maybe it's just me but, I look at your pics over and over again...even the tools you may have laying around (dont worry I'm not weird , I'm just trying to learn as much as possible :shock: ). If I may ask you a question, is there a reason why you chose to heat the chainstays in that particular spot and not closer to the bottom bracket. I probably would have done it wrong by heating closer to the bottom bracket. I know there is a reason why you did it that way, I think I understand why now by looking at your pics and the reasoning behind it, but I'm just curious (does this make sense :roll: ) Thanks.

Thank you guys!! :D
Sometimes I make sure that the tools I've used for different things show in the photos. That saves me some typing. :lol: It also shows that you don't need a whole lot of tools to build a bike, a few basic ones are all you really need. :) I heated the chainstays where I did because I din't want to risk ruining that cable guide for the shiftercable. And also since I'd left the crakset in the bottombracket I thought I might keep the heat a little farther from that as well. And for looks, I thought it might please the eye more too. :)

Today I had help in the garage! :D
Groda.jpg

Tight fit, but it fits!
Rambygge6.jpg

Two more tubes to the seatstays.
Rambygge7.jpg

The frame is almost done! :) When it is I'll start on the forktrusses.

Like the seatstay additions...cant wait to see it all tie in with your design ideas for this bike. Thanks again for the info you provide for us...want you to know it is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you so much! It's a good feeling to be able to share ideas with you all! I get so much inspiration from seeing what all of you build, and I'm glad if I'm able to give something back. :)

Markm said:
I have a helper that looks just like that....cousins maybe! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Half Link said:
Distant cousins! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Probably! :lol: Does your helper talk a lot? Mine was the quiet type... :lol:

Yesterday evening I went to stay in our little logcabin in the woods. Peaceful place! I brought the foam cylinder that I've prepared for the headlight and everything I needed to fiberglass it.

Shaped the foam roughly with a fine tooth sawblade and then sanded it to the shape I want the headlight to have. Here it is in the light of some candles, there's no electricity in the cabin. :D
Framlykta3.jpg

I taped the shaped foam with some regular clear tape so that the surface wold be a little smoother. I was thinking that the polyester resin would otherwise go into all the little bubbles of the foam and make life miserable when I'll try to remove the finished fiberglass shell.
Framlykta4.jpg

I applied two layers of fiberglass strips and polyester resin, let that cure and sanded it smooth. Then I applied two more layers.
Framlykta5.jpg

That's where I'm at with the light right now. I'll sand it smooth again later today and call the shell done! :D

This is my work invironment for the moment. :D That boat won't go anywhere... :lol:
Gddtjrn.jpg

We'll see what I have for you tomorrow! :D

CLEAR OFF THE SOFA!!!! I'm coming over for bike building and fishing! :lol: :lol:

love the lines on that top tube! and the tubes from the seat post curving down are super cool 8)

always top notch work from your shop!

if I was your neighbor you would have a restraining order on me with the police department by now.... :lol:

:lol:
You're very welcome to come and visit! I'll make sure I'll always make an extra cup of coffe just in case you drop by... No restraining order needed so far! :lol:
Thanks for your comments! I'm happy with how the lines turned out, glad you like them to! :D

Some more progress on the headlight:
Here's the shell, sanded smooth. Looks like a half egg of a dinosaur... :D
Framlykta6.jpg

Made a paper template covered with clear tape for the lid of the head light, wrapped the shell with plastic food wrap and covered the lid with four layers of fiberglass strips.
Framlykta7.jpg

Forgot to take a photo of the template before I fiberglassed it, but here's what's left of it after I removed it from the fiberglssed part.
Framlykta8.jpg

Time for dinner and then I'll get back to sanding... :)

Latest posts

Back