Fake Schwinn "Ameican"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up these three bikes yesterday in a package deal. The Schwinn has an American chainguard crudely screwed into the rear frame, which could've came from who knows where over the past 60 or more years.
20190622_092036.jpg

20190622_101321.jpg

The Schwinn serial number location, at the dropouts(60 to 69?), puts it in the range of an American. But I'm really not sure. Only an "80" are visible.
20190622_092900.jpg

Has a German Sachs? rear hub. Was hoping for three yellow bands.
20190622_093039.jpg

Wrong forks? Wanted Ashtabula style. And head badge removed.
20190622_093309.jpg

Any ideas? I guess it doesn't matter at this point.
Was my first bike of an antique vintage, and it was nearly free. So I'm happy to have it and will ikely go the way of the rat with it.

The 24" Huffy has a good seat.
And Schwinn Approved rack came with the green bike. Along with tires, front wheel, headset and crank bearings for the Schwinn maybe.

It's a vintage Schwinn frame for sure. Forks aren't Schwinn but are straight at least. The chain guard may have come from a 24" Schwinn.
The emblem on the seat tube looks like 60's, you can ID the model by that design.
If the serial number won't show by cleaning up that number, the cranks may have a 2 digit date on them, in the center.
upload_2019-6-22_7-7-41.jpeg

The wheels may be original, S-7 rims are what the bike would have had new, the tires will read 1 3/4 instead of 1.75. So that Sachs hub may also be the correct one.
The fenders look original also, and being stainless is a clue to the model also.

It's a vintage Schwinn frame for sure. Forks aren't Schwinn but are straight at least. The chain guard may have come from a 24" Schwinn.
The emblem on the seat tube looks like 60's, you can ID the model by that design.
If the serial number won't show by cleaning up that number, the cranks may have a 2 digit date on them, in the center. View attachment 98222
The wheels may be original, S-7 rims are what the bike would have had new, the tires will read 1 3/4 instead of 1.75. So that Sachs hub may also be the correct one.
The fenders look original also, and being stainless is a clue to the model also.
Thanks for the help. I'll pull the crank and check it.
20190622_162902.jpg

Schwinn Ashtabula 14th week of 1963.?

The front fender appears to be chrome. Maybe it came with the fork?
20190622_161039.jpg

Tires say studded S 3 4., I think.
But these look like the Schwinn rims to me.

Accoriding to the 1963 Schwinn catalog,
https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1963.html
only bike to come with a cantilever frame and stainless fenders in blue, was the Corvette.

But according to bikehistory.org,
https://bikehistory.org/bikes/corvette/
this model came with an American made coaster brake hub.

So I don't know. I think I got a decent frame with no rust through that's worth fixing up. But restoring it to original might not be in the cards.

I have seen a few Breeze bikes floating around that I could get a hub/wheel from.
But no stainless fenders. And I'm not sure the fork is the same width.

Last edited:
To add, this looks like the decal on the seat tube, but I'm not sure what years or models it went with. Others are experts can ID Schwinns by these decals. I've only seen this decal on some 1963 Corvettes.
s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Wildcat.
Would've never thought to look on the crank, or that the stainless rear fender would help in identifying the bike.

"Schwinn Ashtabula 14th week of 1963.?

View attachment 98242

only bike to come with a cantilever frame and stainless fenders in blue, was the Corvette."

So, it's a 63 Corvette. Congrats!

The wheels that are S-7 have a knurled design down the middle, but the white paint is covering them so I can't tell. If the tires are 26 x 1 3/4 then it's S-7.
If so, the Schwinn chrome is famous for being tough and resilient, so you may have good chrome under there. Finding a good selection of S-7 tires is tougher, most tires now are the decimal size that fits the standard 26" rim, not the slightly larger S-7. But you can get a new set of those that fit, blackwall or whitewall. Here's an example:
https://www.bikewagon.com/sunlite-t...MIosD28ZD-4gIVFdVkCh29ngZzEAQYAiABEgL7CfD_BwE
Or, standard wheels will fit that frame if you wanted more choices in tires. It's a middleweight, so 26 x 2.125 is about as wide as a tire you could fit with fenders. I would go with 2.00 or less to be sure the fenders will clear. That's what I did with my Typhoon, same size frame as yours, no fenders with standard wheels and fatter tires, beach cruiser 26 x 2.125.

2zso5g3.jpg

Restoring to original would cost a lot, more than the bike is worth, so making it a cruiser, klunker, or strandie would be right. The Corvette was offered with speeds too, so you have the rear mount for a handbrake if you didn't want a coaster brake. Freewheel or multiple speeds internal hubs would work too. However you wanted to do it.

I might give it a shot at beginning restoration of the bike.
Not really the style frame I'd pick for a klunker or bmx style build. And I wouldn't mind having an original.
Just have to keep an eye out for the missing pieces.

"Schwinn Ashtabula 14th week of 1963.?

View attachment 98242

only bike to come with a cantilever frame and stainless fenders in blue, was the Corvette."

So, it's a 63 Corvette. Congrats!

The wheels that are S-7 have a knurled design down the middle, but the white paint is covering them so I can't tell. If the tires are 26 x 1 3/4 then it's S-7.
If so, the Schwinn chrome is famous for being tough and resilient, so you may have good chrome under there. Finding a good selection of S-7 tires is tougher, most tires now are the decimal size that fits the standard 26" rim, not the slightly larger S-7. But you can get a new set of those that fit, blackwall or whitewall. Here's an example:
https://www.bikewagon.com/sunlite-t...MIosD28ZD-4gIVFdVkCh29ngZzEAQYAiABEgL7CfD_BwE
Or, standard wheels will fit that frame if you wanted more choices in tires. It's a middleweight, so 26 x 2.125 is about as wide as a tire you could fit with fenders. I would go with 2.00 or less to be sure the fenders will clear. That's what I did with my Typhoon, same size frame as yours, no fenders with standard wheels and fatter tires, beach cruiser 26 x 2.125.

View attachment 98244

Restoring to original would cost a lot, more than the bike is worth, so making it a cruiser, klunker, or strandie would be right. The Corvette was offered with speeds too, so you have the rear mount for a handbrake if you didn't want a coaster brake. Freewheel or multiple speeds internal hubs would work too. However you wanted to do it.
Thanks for the advise and tips.
These wheels do have the knurl down the middle. But I don't know if they're worth cleaning up.
I'll try and repaint to original color. And try and get some original emblems.

The Corvette does look to have a couple of parts that would be hard to find though.
The light, rack, and front stainless fender. And the reflector for the back fender. Along with the chainguard. Maybe I'll run across those some day.

Nice looking bike, by the way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back