Fastest way to remove clear from chrome Spaceliner frame!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Menard's or Auto Zone and buy this can for $11. Clear starts peeling right away. Takes a few coats, I used a plastic bondo spreader to scrape the clear after 15 minutes.

2012-08-06200813.jpg

After a couple minutes:

2012-08-07181159.jpg

2012-08-07181149.jpg

Thanks for posting the method and pictures.
Still have more to do on last year's build off bike, and my wife's Spaceliner too :oops:
Is it stinky and really caustic? My body can't handle the HD stuff any more
Tried "airplane remover" and it made me kinda sick (with mask), plus it didn't work super well (no patience)
I've used a razor blade(slow but effective) so I didn't suggest it earlier

MplsCoaster said:
Thanks for posting the method and pictures.
Still have more to do on last year's build off bike, and my wife's Spaceliner too :oops:
Is it stinky and really caustic? My body can't handle the HD stuff any more
Tried "airplane remover" and it made me kinda sick (with mask), plus it didn't work super well (no patience)
I've used a razor blade(slow but effective) so I didn't suggest it earlier

No its not bad at all. Wear gloves though. It only smells for a few seconds after you spray it, then it seems to go away. I was doing it outside away from the cars and everything so no over spray would get on them.

BTW - this bike was inspired by your Spaceliner, gonna start a build thread on it soon!

MplsCoaster said:
ratina said:
BTW - this bike was inspired by your Spaceliner, gonna start a build thread on it soon!
Thats funny because I searched all over for a CWC frame for the build off because of your beauty:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54627&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Can't wait to see the build...

That's funny. Your CWC turned out awesome! I probably should have saved my CWC for the build off. Oh well.

I will post a thread on the spaceliner soon.

I wish this had been posted a couple of weeks ago.

I actually didn't even realize that my BO7 Spaceliner (Flex-Liner 7) had an old clear coat on it. When I broke it down for paint, I started cleaning it up and saw the clear coat. I removed the old fashioned way with wd40 and steel wool. It took a while and I had steel wool slag all over my shop, but it turned out great. When I took Flexy riding for my Finished photos, the people at the LBS couldn't believe it was original 1960s chrome.

I will definitely remember your trick!

Before
IMAGE_347.jpg

After
WP_002522.jpg

Latest posts

Back