"FAT BIKES CATCHING ON"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really sure I see the point in trying to whip around and do tricks on a heavy bike with giant tires?

Sort of a theres a tool for every job kind of thing.

Not a fan, not saying that I won't ever be, they just arent my thing, ride on though!

has this fat "trike" been posted?

skf4k5qebxjicxgcsaud.jpg

You have got to be kidding.(above)... The "new" "yahoo" fat surly-style bike has been around for at least 4 yrs now...gaining momentum with slick ads of pro-lookin roadies (a good thing) riding on PACKED trails. Maybe just buy a mountain bike........these bikes DO NOT ride in snow and DO NOT ride in sand. The makers
just want you to think that you will be able to....and then buy one....
They do look kinda cool tough....

Ha!! It depends on what kind of snow and what kind of sand...

ie surface DENSITY...here in the mountains where the snow doesn't do a
freezemelt much, you ride one of those things (& I have) off the
packed trail or road, and you are done...unless you like walkin...
Don't get me wrong, I like the looks, it is a bicycle, but over-hyped
in my opinion....it's a bike with really huge and fat tires...its all good,,

I'd have to agree they are overhyped:

"float over 2 feet of snow!"

but they are much more capable of riding in snow and loose sand than a typically sized bike tire is. But yes, if you are riding in unpacked snow, don't expect to plow through it. In fact once you stop, it takes abit to get going again. Much more work to ride in conditions like that.

Yea, I'm with ya...the thing I do like about them is the rock solid smooth stability and ability to glide over 90% of the surfaces thrown at it. If I lived on a beach (with miles of packed wet sand, I might even consider one!! :thumbsup:
By the way, I love riding my 2.125"-tired MTB on beach tidal flats and on packed out winter trails!!!

I'm starting to lust after a fat bike, not as readily available here in UK (or I'm not looking in the right places) so I'll have to make my own.
I hope you do, would love to follow along that build!

Luke.

hopefully by this weekend I'll have my third bike in the collection. one will be going to work bike, one may stay standard mountain bike and will definitely be getting the fat tyre treatment. I think I'll start a poll and let the guys and gals choose which does what.

Latest posts

Back