Fat Cruiser (aluminum, disc ready, $890)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from a google search for other lower cost fat bikes:

http://www.bikeshopliquidators.com/p-34 ... uiser.aspx

11 pounds lighter than a Beast.
Very similar looking to the Beast.
looks like it's better quality all around.
3 frame sizes.
disc brake ready.

but $691 more to shave 11 pounds? I think the same weight loss could be achieved on a Beast for far less. Crank, Tires, bar, stem, post, seat, etc. Maybe 300 retail.

rick

I was at a small LBS here in town, they had a in the box fat tire Origin 8, cool auto gear rear hub and some other cool stuff I could not see. The price was $1200. So at a mind numbing 40 pound single speed walmart bike you get what you pay for. What was it, $199?

Or was it a Surly with Origin 8 parts, The Pugsley was at $1650

I weighed my Beast. 48.8 pounds! Oh, after I removed the very light chain guard and the reflectors and added a bunch of grease.

rick

Crank, Tires, bar, stem, post, seat, etc. Maybe 300 retail.

So I paid to change out:
Crank/bearings - $60
Headset/Stem - $30
Tires - $70
Seatpost (which someone bent and replaced) - $15
Grips - $5

Had on hand
Bars/pedals/seat

Total out of pocket $395 & cut nearly 10 lbs.

rickpaulos said:
from a google search for other lower cost fat bikes:

http://www.bikeshopliquidators.com/p-34 ... uiser.aspx

11 pounds lighter than a Beast.
Very similar looking to the Beast.
looks like it's better quality all around.
3 frame sizes.
disc brake ready.

but $691 more to shave 11 pounds? I think the same weight loss could be achieved on a Beast for far less. Crank, Tires, bar, stem, post, seat, etc. Maybe 300 retail.

rick
They are on crack as this bike isn't any better than the Beast for what they are asking for it.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
It would be nice to have some of those components, but the fork looks a little 'wonky' the way it curves out at the top and back in at the axle.
just sayin'.....
+1 dont like them forks

Dr. Tankenstein said:
It would be nice to have some of those components, but the fork looks a little 'wonky' the way it curves out at the top and back in at the axle.
just sayin'.....
They look weak to me as if they will break at the first good hole you hit.

I suppose more mud clearance in the front. But that does not mean more mud clearance around the rear wheel and tire. You can get alot of mud stuck to such fat tires. So much the bike would quickly become unrideable.

yea, wow, overpriced. I truly love my Sun Spyder. I paid less than 700 for it, and really rode the heck out of it,in the snow and mud. THEN Walmart put out the Beast. I still love my bike, but could have bought the Beats, for way less and enjoyed it. The 2 speed is great, and lets me take it in the hills, where the beast wont. I added disc brakes, for 70 bucks. So now I can go downhill in the trails, and safely stop. You wont do that on a Beast. I don't need a setback seatpost, as the Spyder is stretched, in comparison to the Beast. Tires suck in the mud, OK in snow. Wish I had a bit more aggressive tread. Overall,Im happy, and will keep it. Partially cause resale gotta suck, since the Beast is so cheap. Its not an apples/apples comparison. More like a apple/prune comparison.LOL

Keep perspective here, of all the people who bashed on the Goose because they hadn't seen one dressed up yet. That bike is being pushed as a fat sand bike. Not a pothole smasher. It has potential, just at a higher starting point. Let's see some photoshopped ideation instead of absolutes. :?

Latest posts

Back