Fatbelly Bobber - time for a cool change, now the Toadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Here's some updated pics of my bike.
Before I go into any detail, I need to thank 3 forum members who helped me out.
fidel rambo for the new Worksman fork
rgallen for the 'tank' plates
HuffyDesigner for the NOS Huffy Cranbrook decals
Drew, Ricky and Jordan you guys are awesome!

OK, on to the updates:
I couldn't fit the Kenda Kraze 24x3 in the original Monark fork, so I used a SUPER wide Worksman fork. I had to swap out the 4-bolt BMX style stem for and old Wald unit to fit the fork, now a 4.25" tire would probably fit it there! For the 'tank', I was inspired by grego47's Golden Rod build
Since I have NO pinstriping skills, I used stock Huffy Cranbrook decals on the tank and seatpost (fender one day too, if I can get one to fit over that huge tire)
So, here it is, finished......for now.
version 1.0
afterprofile4.jpg

version 2.0 (the new fork rakes the front out a bit more, it handles nicer now too)
DSCF2018.jpg

tank shot (poor cell phone pic):
IMG_0263.jpg

the Official Rat Rod Registration sticker (eBay find)
DSCF2023.jpg

Hope you like it, now I'm off to ride it!

Cheers!
Dr. T

Last edited:
Re: Fatbelly Bobber v2.0

Oh yeah, nice!
It was cool before, but now it really looks awesome - great changes!

Re: Fatbelly Bobber v2.0

Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments.
Now to work on a rear fender and lighting. There isn't much room between the frame and the tire, so I may be forced to run a shorty from the seatstays back. I'm thinking about modding a sissy bar as a fender strut, like on this old Harley.
harley-davidson_jdca_board-trackerj.jpg

Stay tuned...for v3.0 :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Dr. T

Re: Fatbelly Bobber v3.0

I just can't leave this bike alone!

I decided to move the seat and post to another bike I'm building, so I built a gas pipe 'Lucky 7' and bought a new Electra two-tone seat (very comfy by the way) from Amazon. Then i decided that the reach to the bars was too far, so I switched them out for a set that I got from Double Nickle and added new 'city' grips from eBay. The bike also leaned a bit on the kickstand, so in keeping with the 'motorcycle-look' of this bike, I added a dual kickstand.
There you have it, version 3. I've GOT to leave this one alone, ride it more, and get back to building other ones. :mrgreen:
Hope you like it.
First, the obligatory before/after shots.
before:
beforeprofile1.jpg

after (version 3):
DSCF2149.jpg

DSCF2150.jpg

DSCF2151.jpg

DSCF2152.jpg

That is just cool - 24"X3" is what I want to do for my next bike - man, already thinking about the next when I need to finish the one I'm currently working on...SHEESH!

In the spirit of Dr. Tankenstein, I went to Checker Auto Parts this afternoon and bought a chrome off-road truck light to try and fab into an LED headlight...

That's all I'm going to say, other than I failed miserably. I was able to laugh at myself though, and I learned something from my mistake.

Anyone need a really HUGE light with an LED flashlight fabricated into it? :roll:

Here's a couple of crappy cell phones pics taken while I made it.
It started life as a car battery terminal cleaner. I disassembled it, cut the 'narrow' end off, inserted a 9 LED flashlight w/a push button bottom switch (got mine in eBay, but I saw them at Home Depot in the checkout line) siliconed a cheap red reflector in the big end.
It was almost too easy. It attached with a modified copper pipe hanger.
IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

DSCF2067.jpg

Good luck!
Dr. T

Very cool! This is the kind of stuff I like, one of a kind with not too much work involved, but just that little bit of effort made a really cool tail light. Two thumbs up!

What did you use to make the tank? Any detailed pics? I'm toying with the idea of making a tank for my Santa Fe rat out of clear red tinted Plexiglas with a hole in the center to suspend an 8-ball between the two sides, then pinstripe flames off of the 8-ball on both sides, kinda got a mock up done with cardboard but I'm worried about breaking the Plexiglas because the 8 ball is quite heavy and with road vibration and bumps I know it will get jostled around.

Any advice? NOTE: The plexiglas will be clear so you'll be able to see the entire 8-ball and I will possibly put some lights inside it in the future.

P8010061.jpg

P8010062.jpg

P8010064.jpg

P8010067.jpg

outskirts,
First, cool idea using clear plexiglass and the 8-ball! I think if you use fairly thick plexi (I think I've found 3/8" or 5/16" at The Home Depot before for fish tank covers) and a decent silicon or epoxy to hold the ball in place and with the right spacers, you should be OK. Just be careful when you're 'curb jumping' :mrgreen:

Try these for lighting, you could stick them to the bottom of the top tube, then install the 'tank'. For les than $2, it could look pretty cool. They're rated for 12v, so you could hook them up to a battery pack or even a wheel mounted generator, maybe....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Waterproof-...e-15-LEDs-/320571972418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

As for my tank, like your idea, it's simply two pieces of sheet metal (made by another forum member) with 1 1/2" threaded aluminum spacers in between. I used electrical conduit straps from The Home Depot to attach it to the frame. I chose them because they have a plastic 'sleeve' that slides on them to protect the paint. The fit on mine is really tight, it doesn't move at all.
For pics of it and the entire build, you can go here:
http://s680.photobucket.com/albums/vv167/DrTankenstein/Fatbelly Bobber build/

Good luck!
Dr. T

Cool, Thanks, I think the red plex with 8 ball tank will be "just what the Dr. ordered" for my rat...... :wink: Great idea on the lights but I'm thinking of using the same light kit I got on e-bay for my Recumbent tadpole trike that has 4 led's and a control box that allows you to keep them on constant, a 3 flash mode or a pulse mode, also had a dial to make each mode faster or slower. Really grabs attention going down the road. They were 12 volt too, I just used an old drill battery for power and I'd have to charge it about once a month, if that.

I also got bored this morning and decided to make a rack for the back too. Bet you can't guess what it was........
P8010069.jpg

P8010070.jpg

P8010072.jpg

Maybe this will clue you in.......
P8010071.jpg

It does ride pretty low to the tire, used an old fender brace to hold it up but I'm going to reinforce it later.
P8010073.jpg

Philphine said:
keep that scooter wheel. i like 'em for oversized idlers.
I always keep about anything that goes into my shop....lol. I got 4 of these bad boys in the big junk drawer of my toolbox.

Re: Fatbelly Bobber v4.0

Made a few 'updates' in preparation of the upcoming 'Cabin Fever' show.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42548&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Cabin+fever

Gonna be selling some cream Felt Thick Bricks (got four pair) for a friend, so I thought I'd throw a set on the Fatbelly to model them.
I went ahead and added a new Kalin stem and a vintage Stewart Warner speedo (I like how the cream and orange work with the color scheme of the bike). Painted out the DIY crossbar, removed the rear fender and relocated the tail light to the left chainstay.

So, here's v4 of the the Fatbelly Bobber:

DSCF3323.jpg

DSCF3319.jpg

DSCF3320.jpg

DSCF3324.jpg

DSCF3322.jpg

DSCF3318.jpg

DSCF3321.jpg

Hope you like the update.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts