Felt : change to freewheel hub and adding disc brakes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never liked coaster brakes so I'm wanting to swap to freewheel. If I do that I need to install brake(s). I think it would be cool to put a disc brake on the rear and leave it at that. I'm sure it's possible but I'm wondering what the best diy bolt on way is. I havent been in here in years but just picked up a Felt and have the itch again.
I did find a kit that looks pretty straight forward but not sure if it would work with what I have.
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/bike-parts/bicycle-brake/rear-wheel-disc-brake-conversion-kit-1.html

Any suggestions are welcome.

Pic of bike
93807981179a39e70bef69d9c2d013ee.jpg

With the hills we have - I usually prefer gears, but that kit does look very cool...:)

The mounting bracket is the only unique part in the kit, and it's designed to work exclusively with horizontal dropouts. Does the Felt have those? Vertical or diagonal dropouts hang the bracket in a cockeyed direction.

I do like the idea of a rear disk conversion that doesn't permanently foul the bike's frame.

The mounting bracket is the only unique part in the kit, and it's designed to work exclusively with horizontal dropouts. Does the Felt have those? Vertical or diagonal dropouts hang the bracket in a cockeyed direction.

I do like the idea of a rear disk conversion that doesn't permanently foul the bike's frame.

yes, the Felt does have Horizontal Dropouts. I would think it would work. I just haven't been on here in so long that maybe there is a better kit to use than this? or if anyone has used this kit, what do they think about it.

I have used that disc brake adapter on two of my Felts and like you prefer disc to coaster brakes. That kit includes a 100mm 36" rear hub. I'm using a white industry 32 hole on one and a Profile 32 hole on the 2nd, but my two are 135mm wide. So the problem I had was I had to widen the rear drop out on the two Felt Steel Frames. Remember that if your Felt is an Aluminum Frame then you will not be able to widen the rear.

If Chucka buys the entire kit as linked in the OP, he won't need to worry about widening the rear end, as the hub from the link is 100mm OLD. In fact, if anything, he'll need t space out the hub, which will result in potential issues with chainline and/or the rotor being placed too far inboard.

I have used a bicycle designer.com disc brake brackets on 4 Felt aluminum builds and I may use it on another one over the weekend. I have a few of their hubs and I probably have extra rotors. I know I have 2 of their massive 255mm rotors that I will not be using because I am pretty much done for a while. Let me know if you need anything.

- by Gigmata

Latest posts

Back