Fender Braces?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a set of fenders (both rear) given to me at the bike co-op last fall and I would like to make street sweepers out of them for my Schwinn cruiser.

My question is what can I make for fender braces and can I just go to the hardware store to get the metal and fashion a set out of them? I thought I saw some metal rods at Hobby Lobby but I don't know if they will be long enough, I will have to go back there and check them out. Obviously these fenders will be heavily modified since my cruiser has 700c wheels.

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/5844/QzTpp3.jpg

You could ABSOLUTELY fashion your own., and you dont have to put the braces UNDER the fender either., if you look in the ARCHIVES section of RatRodBikes.com., you'll come across several build threads., each with their own builds and unique additions, and some handy subtractions as well., Most of the nicest bikes showcased here can be found in those files [be sure to look under finished build threads.] On a side note for suggestion and theme., theres one or two folks here who have used Barbed wire as fender struts/braces and its durable enough to not fold under the ways of riding. I think it add's something unique, but watch your hands!

Hope that helps some!
FZ

http://www.amazon.com/Wald-322-26-Bracket-952-26-Fender/dp/B000AO5G28

31p4N2C2NzL.jpg

Yep. +1

You can easily make your own, and you should if you have a plan to do something unique and/or awesome. But if you just want something basic, for a buck and a half, you can get some pre-made braces from our buddies in Kentucky. You'd spend that much on hardware alone at the local Home Depot

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure the Wald braces won't be long enough but I suppose I could modify them. I'll see what I come up with and maybe post pics of my creation.:)

700c x 37 tires

I actually like the 700c wheels because they roll better (less resistance, higher air pressure) and I like the looks of the larger wheels/skinnier tires with the cantilever frame.

The Wald 324-26 braces are 14" long from the mounting hole to the bend. Being that they're for balloon fenders, there's a lot of length to the horizontal portion of the brace, which could be massaged to give less width, but more height. At 14" long, they should cover a 700x40c tire if used with the right fenders. (A 700x40c is about 13.75" in terms of radius from the axle to the outer edge of the rubber.)

Last edited:
The Wald 324-26 braces are 14" long from the mounting hole to the bend. Being that they're for balloon fenders, there's a lot of length to the horizontal portion of the brace, which could be massaged to give less width, but more height. At 14" long, they should cover a 700x40c tire if used with the right fenders. (A 700x40c is about 13.75" in terms of radius from the axle to the outer edge of the rubber.)

I used these braces with Summit balloon tire fenders (26") and 26" balloon tire wheels and I had to cut off at least an inch to get the fenders anywhere close to the tire, and even then I've got a lot of room to spare. These are looooooooong fender stays.

Honestly., If it were me and I was having troubling finding EXACT length., buy them like you do a belt Nice and Long until you grow into it? No.. no thats not it.. Well anyway., you buy oversized ones., you cut the end, flatten and drill., If done with some patience they come out pretty good looking, cant even tell.

Latest posts

Back